NHL Breeze: Aug.18, Morning Edition
Happy birthdays to:
- No current NHLers, but…
- Geoff Courtnall and his 17 year career. He scored 799 points in the NHL career. Great Vancouver Canuck.
NHL news and notes:
- NHL is studying some new possible rule changes and style of play that will enhance the on-ice product for the fans at a general meeting. NHL players are on the ice to show the guys how it appears live!
- Brendan Shanahan is eager to know how things look at these meetings.
- Expect general managers to chat whenever they get together. Unsure how many are actually in attendance, but word is there are over 80 executives in the stands.
- As of today, Antti Niemi is without a job in the NHL. He may have to resort to playing some KHL.
- Sean Bergenheim signs a new contract with Steve Yzerman and the Tampa Bay Lightning
- Chris Pronger is unsure when he will make a return from his right knee operation earlier this month. He hopes to be back for the regular season, but no time table is set.
- Nick Boynton signed a 1-year deal with the Chicago Blackhawks at close to league minimum
- Start your engines for Kevin Bieksa rumours! Bieksa is getting strong interests in San Jose, Washington, Dallas, Los Angeles, Columbus, and Tampa Bay.
- There are swirls saying the NHL is just throwing smoke screen in front of the other 4 outstanding long-term contracts. Nothing is expected to happen to them.
- Willie Mitchell will make a trip down to Washington D.C. before making an appointment with Vancouver before making his final decision. It could come as soon as next week. It’s not really about the money for Willie. He wants to stay and play out his career in Vancouver in all likelihood.
- Kevin Bieksa spoke about his trade rumour swirling around the NHL. However, he has answered questions before. Nothing new. It is out of his hands. This is all because he has no no-trade implications and costs 3.75mil a year. We don’t know if he will be moved or not yet.
- Peter Forsberg is not likely to continue with hockey, because of his foot structure. Great player, but not a cooperative body to go along with all that talent.
- Tomas Fleischmann could be on the move. It could be a trade to find a place for Eric Belanger to formally sign with the Capitals. Stay tuned to that.
Thank you for your participation.
Follow Joseph on Twitter.