NHL Breeze: Aug.17, 2010, Morning Edition
To kick off the day, I would like to wish Happy Birthday to you!
Happy birthdays to:
- Eric Boulton, 34, Atlanta Thrashers
- Troy Brouwer, 25, Chicago Blackhawks
- David Legwand, 30, Nashville Predators
NHL news and notes:
- The majority of Toronto Maple Leaf fans are disappointed that Burke did not trade defenseman Tomas Kaberle. His teammates, however, is quite pleased to have him.
- NHL meeting happening this week. Rule change ideas will be thrown around. Faceoffs, and overtime format in play. Icing a key issue.
- Ilya Kovalchuk status remains the same. Working out a new contract may take some time. Grossman and Devils remain in chatter.
- Start your engines for Kevin Bieksa rumours! Bieksa is getting strong interests in San Jose, Washington, Dallas, Los Angeles, Columbus, and Tampa Bay.
- There is swirls saying the NHL is just throwing smoke screen in front of the other 4 outstanding long-term contracts. Nothing is expected to happen to them.
- Antti Niemi wants to return to the NHL. Expect a deal soon. San Jose and Washington wrestling.
- Lee Stempniak, who scored 14 goals in 14 games as a Coyote, is about to announce a new contract this week with the team.
- Nikolai Khabibulin is needed in Edmonton despite his DUI. Taylor Hall can worry about scoring goals if Khabibulin is back to previous form.
- LA Kings have offered Willie Mitchell a 2-year contract. But don’t count out Vancouver, Washington, or San Jose. Mitchell may choose to be very patient, waiting for the Canucks to fit him under the salary structure. Thus, signing with other teams become his last resort.
- Carey Price contract still making progress. He will sign, but a matter of time.
- Karri Ramo is the newest Canadien. He joined the club after being traded for Cedrick Desjardins late Monday with the Tampa Bay Lightning.
- Bobby Ryan remains in limbo. Bob Murray side is firm that they have no plan to trade the young front line right-wing.
- We should expect to hear more about gritty forward Arron Asham in the near future. It is reported that he wishes to remain a Philadelphia Flyer.
- New York Islanders plan on inviting Ruslan Fedotenko to training camp on a tryout basis.
Quote of the Day: "I did not give Tomas Kaberle this no-trade clause. Fergie did. But I feel Inbound by that, because the general manager of the Maple Leafs at the time did that. I am not going to try and cajole Tomas into giving me a list of 10 teams and somehow publicly work this so he feels he has to. He has a no-trade. And that is where we are. Fine with me."~Brian Burke.
Thank you for your participation.
Follow Joseph on Twitter.