NHL Breeze: Aug.16, Evening Edition
Let’s kick things off with what the Leafs players had to say about Tomas Kaberle returning for one more season:
- Nazem Kadri: "I think him sticking here is only going to make us a better hockey club."
- Luke Schenn: "I've been lucky enough to be defence partners with him."
- Ilya Kovalchuk front is all quiet today, no word on how the talks are progressing.
- Lee Stempniak looks to be very close to a contract extension with the Phoenix Coyotes. No one knows how long he will stay though.
- Willie Mitchell, let’s be honest, wants to remain a Canuck. It is his dream to be a Canuck hockey player, and that has not changed after the dream came true. He wants more time in Vancouver.
- Kevin Bieksa stock has risen since the Kaberle non-trade. Teams like his grit and youth as a part of the package.
- Got to say, Brian Burke made the TSN.ca headlines by performing the biggest non-trade in hockey history. Congratulations to the Leafs for keeping Kaberle. Ho hum.
- Antti Niemi to the San Jose Sharks looks like a real possibility, but not yet a probability. Wait and see if Capitals come back with an improved offer.
- Lightning traded Karri Ramo for Cedrick Desjardins today. Desjardins was a Canadiens prospect goalie.
- Yzerman has hired Al Murray from Hockey Canada to join him in Tampa Bay as his director of amateur scouting. What a job Yzerman has done this summer!
Thank you for participating.
Follow Joseph on Twitter.