NHL Breeze: Aug.9, Evening Edition
- The Story of the Day: Ilya Kovalchuk contract denied by the arbitrator Richard Bloch. New Jersey Devils can now discuss with Kovalchuk's agent about another new deal, but Kovalchuk is officially an unrestricted free agent again and can sign with anybody
- Brian Burke is on the record for saying the number of suitors for Kaberle has grown to "double digits." If supply and demand law applies in hockey business, expect the Leafs to receive some very tempting deals, regardless whether Kaberle is shipped away
- Teemu Selanne and the Ducks formalize their signing today, Selanne made his decision long time ago, and he really likes the Andy Sutton signing. Hoping Kariya comes next. 3.25mil with bonuses/1-year
- Bob Murray publicly says that if Paul Kariya joins the Ducks, the Bobby Ryan issue becomes less of an issue for his team, but for now, it is an important issue. Bob says he will try to approach it in a different perspective. Bobby Ryan is an RFA since summer began.
- Willie Mitchell's destinations is down by one, as Ruslan Salei signs with the Detroit Red Wings today. Salei signed a 1-year deal worth 750k. It leaves the Red Wings with 7 D's under contract.
- Riley Cote of Flyers retires from the NHL to join the AHL's Adirondack Phantoms (Flyers affiliate) as an Assistant Coach.
Thank you for reading.
Follow Joseph on Twitter.