• WBA "Super" Featherweight champion Chris John (43-0-2) suffered a rib injury during a parring session. John was scheduled to fight Fernando David Saucedo (38-4-3) on June 26. The fight has been put on hold to be schedule for a later date.
• A fight featuring IBF Light Middleweight champion Cory Spinks (37-5) and Cornelius Bundrage (29-4) has been added to the under card of IBF and WBC Light Welterweight titlist Devon Alexander (20-0) and Andriy Kotelnik (31-3-1). The card is taking place in St. Louis, MO, which is the hometown of both Alexander and Spinks.
• Celestino Caballero (34-2) is still in search of a fight since moving up to the Featherweight division in April. He has continually called out undefeated WBO Featherweight Juan Manuel Lopez (29-0) recently saying, "Lopez is a chicken". Also commenting on his upcoming fight with Rafael Marquez (39-5) saying Lopez is fighting a "Marquez who is already beaten up."
• Former Heavyweight champion Mike Tyson has advised WBA Heavyweight champion David Haye (24-1) not to focus on the Klitschko brothers and put his focus on establishing a name in the Heavyweight division by defeating up and comers and current contenders. Tyson has said, "...He's got to beat the up and coming guys like Arreola and the Russian guys. He has to establish himself and then fight the Klitschkos."
• The countdown clock has hit zero for the former undisputed Welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. (41-0) to make his decision on whether or not he will fight WBO Welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao (51-3-2). Though the deadline Bob Arum placed has passed it doesn't mean the the fight is dead. Arum has stated that the deadline was simply the cutoff where Pacquiao's camp would negotiate for only the fight with Mayweather. The fighters most likely to replace Mayweather are Antonio Margarito (38-6) and Miguel Cotto (35-2). Both fights would most likely happen at the Light Middleweight limit of 154 lbs., a win that would give Paquiao a title in a record extending eighth weight class.
• The Super Middleweight bout between Mikkel Kessler (43-2) and Allan Green (29-2) has been set to take place in Denmark despite the fact that the Super Six World Boxing Classic contract states the fight should take place in the United States.
• The winner of Saturday's fight between Timothy Bradley (26-0) and Luis Carlos Abregu (29-1) could become a possibly opponent for WBC Welterweight champion Andre Berto (26-0). Berto has been inactive since his eighth round TKO over Carlos Quintana (27-3) in April.
• WBA Junior Welterweight champion Amir Khan (23-1) has recently began taking verbal shots at WBO Light Welterweight champion Timothy Bradley. Khan aimed these verbal jabs at Bradley via twitter saying, "I'll fight tim bradley its the first time he has called me out, I'm going vegas and talk to goldenboy I wud love the fight good style for me. I'm fighting timothy bradley next I'm gona tell goldenboy. Let's see if they want it for real. Talk is cheap." In a separate post Khan also said, "How, bradley do yesterday and how did he look cause I couldn't be arsed watching him, btw clever way to avoid the best 140lbs by moving up"
• Promoter Gary Shaw recently made statements aimed at Top Rank and Golden Boy Promotions, stating the the two promotional power houses only put their own fighters against each other in order to avoid fighting the best fighters in the world.
• Recents statements made by Nonoy Neri, assistant trainer to Manny Pacquiao, indicate that former WBC Welterweight champion Antonio Margarito will most likely be the opponent for Pacquiao on November 13. He also made mention of the fight taking place in Abu Dhabi saying, "…it's 90% because Manny wants it over in Abu Dhabi. It's more likely going to be margarita and not Cotto."
• Undefeated Middleweight contender Fernando Guerrero (19-0) headlined the card in a competitive unanimous decision victory over a more experienced Ishe Smith (21-5) Smith was deducted a point in the sixth round for continuous punches below the belt line. However, he earned the point back by making Guerrero touch the canvas in the eight round of the fight with a quick right hand.
• Up and coming Light Middleweight contender Shawn Porter (16-0) continued his undefeated streak by winning a unanimous decision over Ray Robinson (11-2) in the co-maine event on ShoBox. Porter fought an entertaining fight knocking down Robinson in the sixth round landing a flush right hand, followed by a flurry of punches that eventually put Robinson down.
• Former undisputed Welterweight champion Zab "Super" Judah (39-6) made his return to the ring with an impressive TKO victory over Jose Armando Santa Cruz (28-5) in the third round. Judah came in using his jab consistently, throwing 136 jabs throughout the fight according to CompuBox. He avoided a wild right hand from Santa Cruz and countered with a left uppercut that put Santa Cruz on the mat. He rose to beat the count, but Judah immediately attacked with a flurry while Santa Cruz's back was against the ropes causing the referee to call an end to the fight with 30 seconds left in the round.
• Alfredo "El Perro" Angulo (19-1) began the televised card by stopping Joachim Alcine (32-2) in the first round. Angulo hurt Alcine with a combination against the ropes that left him defenseless causing the fight to be stopped with one second left in the first round.
• In his HBO debut, Timothy Bradley (29-0) defeat Luis Carlos Abregu (29-1) by unanimous decision. It was a fairly non competitive contest that consisted of Bradley outworking and outboxing Abregu, while occasionally hurting Abregu with big punches and combination punching.
• Fernando Montiel (42-2-2) successfully defended his WBC and WBO Bantamweight title by defeating Rafael Concepcion (14-4-1), replacement for the original scheduled opponent Eric Morel, in a third round knockout. Montiel dominated the fight from start to finish, knocking Concepcion down in the very beginning of round two with a strong left hook, and again half way through the same round. Montiel finished the fight one minute and three second into the third round with a thunderous right that put his opponent on the canvas for a couple minutes after the fight had been stopped by the referee.
Wednesday July 21, 2010
• IBO Cruiserweight champion Danny Green (29-3) will defend his title against Paul Briggs (26-3).
Friday July 23, 2010
• Undefeated Viacheslav Uzelkov (22-0) will challenge Beibut Shumenov (9-1) for the WBA Light Heavyweight title.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!