The New York Mets (44-34) beat the Florida Marlins (37-41) to snap a four game road losing streak. It was a pretty win but it was certainly excited towards the end. The Mets were able to salvage one game out of this three game series and now had off to Washington to take on the Nationals tomorrow. I hope they do some sleeping on the plane, because they won't be getting to Washington until late.The game was delayed and started at 8:30 PM and both pitchers looked to be effected by it. The Marlins played awful, and the fact that it was a close game was kind of upsetting.
Mike Pelfrey started for the Mets and he didn't pitch good. He went just 4.2 innings, threw 108 pitches, giving up four run on 12 hits, one walks, and struck out three batters. He just didn't have they put away pitch. Batters just kept fouling pitches off and waited for Pelfrey to make a bad pitch and jumped on him.
The Mets gave Pelfrey an early lead in this game. Jesus Feliciano doubled to start the game, Ruben Tejada then reached on an error moving Feliciano to third. David Wright then crushed the ball to center field, scoring Feliciano and Tejada to give the Mets a 2-0 lead. Ike Davis then singled, bringing in Wright from second to make it a 3-0 game.
Chris Coghlan started things out with a double of his own. Hanley Ramirez then singled to bring in Coghlan to make it 3-1. Ramirez stole second base and then scored on a single by Dan Uggla to cut the Met lead to 3-2.
To follow the pattern, Alex Cora doubled to start the second inning for the Mets. He came into score on a single by Feliciano to make it a 4-2 ballgame.
In the bottom of the fifth Ramirez started things with a single. Jorge Cantu then doubled to left field, scoring Ramirez for first to it 4-3. Cantu came in to score on a single to right field by Uggla to tie the game at 4-4.
In the top of the sixth inning the Marlins forgot how to field a ball. Bay reached on an error to start the inning, then Chris Carter singled. Tejada reach on another error by the Marlins defensive. They were starting to look like a Little League team out there. Josh Thole then pinch hit, and hit an RBI single to untie the game, giving the Mets a 5-4. With one out and the bases loaded Feliciano lined a ball up the middle. Ramirez made the catch and stepped on the second base for the double play. Feliciano crushed the ball, nothing the Mets could do about it.
Tejada was hit by a pitch to start the top of the seventh. Wright reached on another error by the Marlins defensive; at this point it was just getting funny. Bay then singled to drive in Tejada from to second to make it 6-4.
With two outs in the eighth inning Coghlan singled, and came around to score on a doubled by Gaby Sanchez, to make it 6-5. Mets then intentionally walked Ramirez to pitch to Wes Helms. Francisco Rodriguez came in to the game to pitch and got him to fly out to center field to end the inning.
In the bottom of the ninth Rodriguez got Uggla to ground out on a nice play by Tejada in the hole, but then gave up a single to Cody Ross. Ronny Paulino then blooped a single over the head of Cora, putting runners on first and second with one out. Mike Stanton then hit a ground ball with look like it could have been a double play, but they only got one out at second base. Brain Barden then came up to pinch hit with runner on first and third and two outs. He struck him out with a big curve ball on the outside corner to end the game and give the Mets a 6-5 victory.
- The Mets bullpen did a nice game tonight, throwing 4.1 innings, giving up one run, on five hits, one walk and five strike outs.
- Jose Reyes didn't play because of a stiff lower back. He wanted to play, but Jerry Manuel decided to sit him out for the game. Ron Darling of SNY said that Reyes would most likely not be able to play tomorrow. He has a six hour fight and that's not good for back problems. Darling said Reyes might stand for most of the flight so his back doesn't get sore from sitting down for a long period of time.
- The Atlanta Braves won 4-1, Philadelphia Phillies lost 4-3, the Los Angeles Dodgers won 8-2 and the St. Louis Cardinals lost 4-2. The Mets remain 1.5 games back of first in the NL East, but are still in first place in the Wild Card with the Dodgers and Cardinals both a game behind.
- The Mets go 19-8 in the month of June.
- Josh Thole hit his third consecutive pinch hit and his second day in a row with a pinch hit RBI single.
- Ryota Igarashi pitch well tonight, giving up one hit in his inning of work, and struck out the side.
- David Wright gets the honor tonight, going 2-5 with two doubles, and two RBI. He is now hitting .311 and has 63 RBI on the year.
- The Mets will travel to Washington to take on the Nationals for a three game series. The Mets will send (5-5, 3.55 ERA) to the mound to take on (6-4, 3.10 ERA). Santana is looking to bounce back after giving up four or more runs in his last four outings. Game time is set for 7:05 PM and will be aired on SNY.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!