I have searched the internet to find the storylines that really should have never happened. Some made us cringe, others made us puke, and some even angered us to our very core. Without further ado, the Top Ten Worst Storylines in Wrestling History. Enjoy!
While this story only came up once in my searches, it creeped me out enough to make it to number 10 on the list.
Sean Stasiak, real name Shawn Emile Stipich, was a promising young wrestler. He graduated from BSU and started training with Dory Funk Jr. In '96, Stipich debuted in PCCW as Shawn Stasiak. He then went to WWF to work in the developmental territories.
In '99 he debuted as "Meat", toy boy to PMS. Although he started off well, picking up victories over Droz, Brian Christopher and The Blue Meanie, he would soon become a jobber. The reason, he was too exhausted from f***ing PMS. Thankfully, 'Meat' wouldn't last long and Stipich would go back to wrestling as Shawn Stasiak again.
So many things to choose from with this one.
- Mae Young sits at the front row with The Fabulous Moolah
- Jeff Jarrett invites Moolah into the ring
- Jeff Jarrett hits The Fabulous Moolah over the head with a guitar.
- Young comes to the rescue and is put in a figure four leglock. That's right, a 76 year old woman is attacked by Jarret. Next!
After her debut, Mae and Moolah would appear in comedic segments. Comedic and downright wrong! On the Sept. 27 edition of RAW, Young and Moolah defeated Ivory in a Handicap Gown match for the Women's title. Sounds ok doesn't it, but Young was stripped to her bra and panties. Gross!
At the age of 76, Young was names Miss Royal Rumble 2000. Again, sounds ok, but she won it by winning a bikini contest. You may complain about the WWE being too kid friendly now, but I'd prefer kid friendly to octogenarian 'friendly'.
And the worst of all the Mae Young storylines, well giving birth to a hand of course! No, you didn't read wrong, Ame Young gave birth to a hand as part of a storyline. The father? "Sexual Chocolate" Mark Henry! What makes this worse is that Bubba Ray Dudley powerbombed Mae from the stage and through a table while she was "pregnant". Despicable!
From one pensioner to another. Al Wilson, father of Torrie Wilson, was used in a storyline with WWE Diva Dawn Marie. The storyline? Another weird love affair, duh! How this storyline worked out:
- Marie tried to marry Al Wilson
- Torrie didn't like the idea
- Marie reveals she has feelings for Torrie, kisses her, and says she won't marry her father if she spends one night with her in a hotel.
So far so good, lesbian kisses are always good in WWE. What could possibly make this story bad? Well...
- Marie develops feelings for Al
- The two wed on SmackDown...
Ok, a little weird but still not bad. Keep going.
- ...in their underwear. What is it with WWE and nude old people?
- Al Wilson then (kayfabe) dies of a heart attack after having rigorous sex with Dawn multiple times in succession on their honeymoon.
This started at Summer Slam, when Al Snow and BBM were scheduled to have a match. It never made it to the ring as the two fought backstage when BBM taunted Peppers, Snow's dog, hit Snow with the carrier Peppers was in and then threw the carrier behind him. JR apologized for the stunt and told viewers that Peppers had been removed from the carrier prior to the incident.
But the storyline doesn't stop there, oh no. Even though people hated the fake animal cruelty that took place at Summer Slam, the geniuses in creative decided to carry on the story by making BBM cook Peppers and trick Snow into eating it.
His next feud was with Big Show. How did this start? BBM turned up at a (kayfabe) funeral and stole the coffin containing Big Shows dad. Yes, the WWE would stoop that low!
How do you piss off your ENTIRE fanbase? Simple, have one of your stars 'crucified' on an episode of your show. It all started when Sandman and Raven started feuding. Raven brainwashed Tyler, Sandman's real life son, and made him worship him.
On October 26 1996, Tyler interfered in one of his father's matches. The two hugged and Raven came out and hit Sandman from behind with a Singapore cane. Stevie Richards and the Blue Meanie then came out and 'crucified' Sandman. This incident upset ECW viewers so much that Raven was forced to break character and apologize saying: "I choose to respect your privacy and religious beliefs, and for those I deeply offended, I apologize."
Strong title, I know, but he really deserves it for this. Vince Russo and Ed Ferrara never liked Jim Ross. No one really knows why. But that is no reason to do this.
Ferrara and Russo worked for WWF's rival company WCW. While Ferrara had mimicked JR a couple of times before this incident, none were nearly as bad.
Ferrara's gimmick for WCW was called Oklahoma. He was basically a piss-take of JR. One night Ferrara and Russo, the geniuses that they are, decided to make Oklahoma go out and make fun of JR's very real case of Bell's palsy. That's right, they made fun of a serious illness that JR has.
This caused Jim Cornette to spit in Ferrara's face and challenge him to a match for making fun of one of his best friends. JR and Ferrara have since reconciled through an open letter.
Take two good wrestlers with good characters. Add an event that shook the world. Mix it all together and you have a pretty good storyline. Just make sure you time it right and something similar to the first event doesn't happen again...crap!
If it weren't for bad timing, Hassan and Daivari would probably still be in the WWE. Unfortunately, this happened.
Everyone loves a good fight for America angle, well Americans do at least. It happened with numerous German wrestlers in the 50s, The Iron Sheik, and numerous Soviet wrestlers during the Cold War.
The War on Terror was a good angle to spin. Hassan and Daivari were gaining a lot of heat, and their characters where top notch. Timing played a part in their untimely downfall however, as on the 7th of July 2005 episode of SmackDown, after Undertaker beat Daivari in a match, Hassan prayed and men wearing black shirts, ski masks and camouflage pants came to attack the Undertaker with clubs and piano wire and choked him out.
While that would get you fired today, ahem, that's not the reason Hassan was given his pink slips. The reason was that the episode aired the same day as the 7/7 attacks on London. The segment was cut from European and Australian showings of the episode. UPN pressured the WWE to get Hassan off their network, and he was subsequently fired on 21 Sept. 2005
This is one weird storyline. Here are the brief bullet points of the story:
- Matt Hardy attacks Kane to stop him hurting Lita
- Kane begins assaulting Hardy and attempting to seduce Lita
- Kane kidnaps Lita and ties her up backstage
- Lita reveals she's pregnant
- Matt tries to propose to Lita...
- But is stopped by Kane claiming it's his baby as Lita slept with Kane to get him to stop attacking Matt
- Two months later, it turns out the baby is Kane's
- The two feud for months culminating in a 'Till Death Do Us Part' match where if Kane wins he gets to marry Lita...
- Which he does meaning a reluctant Lita must marry Kane
- Despite this she helps Kane's opponents in matches
- Gene Snitsky hits Kane with a chair on Sept. 13 edition of SmackDown...
- Making Kane fall into Lita causing a miscarriage. The two then join forces to take revenge on Snitsky
Manage to keep up?
Bet you thought this would be No. 1 right? Well you're wrong. This story is so f***ed up!
In 2002, WWE started a feud between HHH and Kane. In the storyline, HHH accused Kane of killing Katie Vick, who had rejected Kane's advances, and raping her corpse.
On Oct. 21 edition of RAW, a tape of the alleged rape was shown. The video was of Triple H in a Kane mask and t-shirt pretending to have sex with a mannequin in a cheerleader's outfit in a coffin. The reaction to this twisted storyline were all negative and the story was ended the next week with a casket match.
If this story wasn't bad enough, wait till you hear this. In 2008, Triple H shot an interview and talked about the Katie Vick incident and said that while this segment was being taped, an actual funeral was taking place in the next room, and someone had to tell HHH to be quiet while he was having faux sex with a mannequin.
This storyline is the most disturbing thing in WWE history. What could possibly trump it for top spot on the list?
Eddie Guerrero's death came as a shock to us all, and while it was nearly 5 years ago, the WWE should never use him as a plot for a story. Here are some examples:
- JBL taunting Chris Benoit with Eddie's taunts, mannerisms and moves (WrestleMania 22)
- Randy Orton shouting at Rey; "Eddie aint in heaven, Eddie's down there...IN HELL!" to get what Mick Foley called 'cheap heat'
- Chavo Guerrero tells Rey he's "a leach living off Eddie's name" and said the only reason Rey is over is because Eddie is dead
- Vickie Guerrero joining Chavo and Rey's feud, using the death of her husband as nothing more than a cheap heel turn
- And more recently during Batista's heel turn, Eddie's name was used in a way that while meant to be a touching mention of a friend, seemed more like a cheap way to gain heat.