With the long-awaited series between the Yankees and Joe Torre's Dodgers beginnning tonight in LA, I am very much intrigued by the number of story lines that will play out this weekend. Torre tenure in pinstripes makes for one big 3-day soap opera in Cali:
1) The Core 4 and Joe Torre. Expect this reunion to be more love story than soap opera. It's nothing more than a mutual admiration society between Jeter, Posada, Pettitte, Rivera and Torre.
2) A-Rod vs Torre. There is no love lost between these two. It has been this way ever since Torre batted A-Rod 8th in that playoff series a few years back.
3) Larry Bowa and Robinson Cano. This will be a chance for Cano to show off in front of his former mentor. Bowa has a lot to be proud of when it comes to the now MVP candidate Robinson Cano.
4) Manny Ramirez vs the Yankees. Will the Yankees be able to control Manny in this series, or will he have his way with Yankee pitching, as he has done so often in the past? I can't wait to see what happens during his at-bats.
5) Don Mattingly. Seeing him in a Dodgers uniform will have many people asking "What if?" Where would the Yankees be had he been hired as Yankee manager a few year ago?
6) Vincente Padilla vs Mark Teixeira. For me this is the most intriguing part of the weekend. Padilla has a history of drilling Teixeira. Will he do it again, or will Joe Torre's beliefs have gotten into him? It'll be interesting to see what happens here.
The Dodgers are terrible this season. Story lines or not, the Yankees should have no problem taking at least 2 out of 3 from them. Go Yankees!
Note: I'd like to apologize for the lack of posts here this month. I've been extremely busy and have not been able to find the time. I hope to start posting more often next month. Thanks for reading and have a great weekend.