2010 MLB Draft Candidates: Zack Cox—Third Base
Full Name: Zack Cox
College: University of Arkansas
D.O.B.: 5/9/89 (21 years old)
Height: 6’0 ft.
Weight: 215 lbs.
- Under Armour All-American
- Rawlings All-American
- Louisville Slugger All-American
- Mr. Baseball in Kentucky – 2008
- Louisville Slugger Player of the Year – 2007
- Louisville Slugger Freshman All-American
- NCBWA Second-Team Freshman All-American
- SEC All-Tournament Team
- NCAA All-Norman Regional
- Preseason No. 4 Newcomer in the SEC (Baseball America)
- No. 5 freshman prospect (Baseball America)
- 2 prospect in the Cape Cod Baseball League (Baseball America)
- Preseason Top 10 Impact Freshman (Rivals.com)
Previously Drafted: 2008—Los Angeles Dodgers, 20th round (607)
Mock Draft: Top 10 Pick
Skill Set: Almost considered the best pure hitter in the entire draft class. Very polished college hitter who should advance through the system very quickly. Has consistently showed the ability to hit for a high batting average with the only questions about his bat being his power potential. Has plenty of arm strength to stay at third, but there are thoughts he may move to second base.
Summary: I’ve warmed up just a bit to Cox in last day or so, but I am still hoping the Mets choose to take a different route in the draft. I saw the stat that during the season he had at least one hit in 43 of his teams 45 games played, and that is just ridiculous no matter what level you are playing at. I love the average, but ISO is just way too low considering he plays a slugging position. He is pretty athletic so he should be able to handle a move to second and become above league average there, but that would mean his success relies on his ability to learn a new position. I think that if the Mets were drafting in the middle of the first round I would love to take Cox, but this is just too early for me. Hopefully the Indians decide to take him, and let Drew Pomeranz fall to the Mets!
What is the duplicate article?
Why is this article offensive?
Where is this article plagiarized from?
Why is this article poorly edited?