Frank Polich/Getty Images
Are you impressed with Brian Kelly up to this point at Notre Dame? I must say that I love what he has brought to the table. Here are 5 things that I think Kelly has done with the program up to this point that will make a huge difference:
- Unlike Charlie Weis who ran the Irish like a NFL team, Kelly is running the Irish like a actual college football program.
- The discipline level of the team has gone up. Kelly expects his players to pay attention to every detail. The teams under Weis were not totally undisciplined, but you could tell on Saturdays that he ran a loose ship.
- Kelly is focusing on building a winning team instead of being a NFL farm system. When Weis was there, he was developing his players for the NFL. Kelly's attitude is to develop his players into a winning team. Not worried about getting guys drafted, but getting team wins for the Irish.
- Getting rid of the entitlement attitude that some players had. Kelly's attitude is nobody is above the team. I think some players had a hard time grasping this concept, but I am sure they learned quickly.
- Kelly has reopened the relationships with alumni and university member's who were shut out under the Weis area. I never got why Weis didn't want anything to do with the alumni or certain departments of the university. Kelly knows that he needs all the parts of a university working with him to have a winning program.