John Maine Pulled After One Batter, Mets Win 10-7
John Maine was pulled in this game before he even got a single batter out, but it didn’t matter because the Mets' offense showed up in a big way last night as they powered the Mets to a 10-7 victory over Washington, thanks to a five run fifth inning that held off a late surge by the Nats.
Entering the game with a 3-0 lead thanks to a David Wright 3-RBI double, Maine walked the lead-off hitter Nyjer Morgan without throwing a pitch above 85 MPH and the Mets coaching staff immediately pulled him from the game as a precaution.
Raul Valdes came on in relief and pitched five innings allowing only three runs to score for his second win of the season. Jenrry Mejia and Francisco Rodriguez struggled out of the bullpen, but the five-run fifth was topped off by a two-run Rod Barajas homer that put the game out of reach for the Nationals.
- Jose Reyes went 2-for-5 with a walk, a run, and an RBI.
- Alex Cora went 0-for-4.
- Jason Bay went 3-for-5 with 2 runs scored.
- Ike Davis went 3-for-5 with 3 runs scored.
- David Wright went 1-for-4 with 4 RBI’s.
- Angel Pagan went 0-for-3 with 2 walks and a run scored.
- Rod Barajas went 2-for-5 with 2 runs and 2 RBI’s.
- Jeff Francoeur went 2-for-5 with a run and a stolen base.
- John Maine’s line: 0.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 K, 0 HR.
- Raul Valdes’ line: 5 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 6 K, 0 HR.
- Manny Acosta (1 IP), Jenrry Mejia (1.2 IP), Pedro Feliciano (0.1 IP), and Francisco Rodriguez (1 IP) combined for this line: 4 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 5 BB, 1 K, 0 HR.
- Good to see the offense wake up a little bit. Hopefully this will be the start of some good streaks. Reyes, Wright, Bay and Francoeur are especially in need of some prolonged hot streaks.
- Wow, what can you say about John Maine. Perhaps his best days in MLB are behind us. He’s going to the doctor this week for some tests on his arm. If he’s done, this rotation is legitimately in shambles. That could be devastating to the Mets this season unless they make a move.
- I wrote a couple of days ago that Mejia would be sent down. Obviously that hasn’t happened yet. They are waiting for Ryota Igarashi to come off the DH. Hopefully that happens soon.
John Maine on being removed : “I didn’t get asked,” Maine said. “They said they saw something, and they were taking me out. I’m a little hurt by that.”
Jerry Manuel in response : “He wanted to pitch. We got into a little exchange about that, and I told him I was trying to protect his best interests,” Manuel said.
Line of the Day
Ike Davis going 3-for-5 with 3 runs scored. With all of the problems this team has it is amazing that Ike Davis is becoming the go to guy for this team. That makes me feel a lot better about the future of this organization.
- The Subway Series!
- Friday, May 21: RHP Javier Vazquez (2-4, 8.01) vs. LHP Hisanori Takahashi (3-1, 3.12)
- Saturday, May 22: RHP Phil Hughes (5-0, 2.25) vs. RHP Mike Pelfrey (5-1, 3.02)
- Sunday, May 23: LHP CC Sabathia (4.2, 3.43) vs. LHP Johan Santana (3-2, 3.72)
Like this post? Want the latest Mets news and rumors? Subscribe to Flushing Baseball Daily via RSS Reader , by Email , Twitter , or Facebook . You can also follow this post's author, Rob Abruzzese , on Twitter.
What is the duplicate article?
Why is this article offensive?
Where is this article plagiarized from?
Why is this article poorly edited?