The 2010 draft is done. The Bengals took these players:
Jermaine Gresham - TE - 6'6 261 - Oklahoma
Carlos Dunlap - DE - 6'6 290 - Florida
Jordan Shipley - WR - 6'0 190 - Texas
Brandon Ghee - CB - 6'0 191 - Wake Forest
Geno Atkins - DT - 6'1 290 - Georgia
Roddrick Muckelroy - LB - 6'2 235 - Texas
Otis Hudson - G - 6'5 300 - Eastern Illinois
Dezmon Briscoe - WR - 6'3 200 - Kansas
Reggie Stephens - OL - 6'3 333 - Iowa St.
Here are the questions about the draft.
Gresham was regarded as the top tight end in the draft. With this pick, the Bengals addressed a need and might have a day one starter.
1) How do the Bengals pass on Dez Bryant for a tight end with two bad knees and who missed the past season?
2) Have the Bengals shown any desire to involve a tight end in their offense in the past?
3) What does this pick mean for Chase Coffman?
4) Couldn't the Bengals have drafted an equally good or better tight end later in the draft?
The safety situation
The Bengals recently signed Roy Williams to a one-year deal. The depth chart looks like this:
Strong Safety - Roy Williams, Chinedum Ndukwe
Free Safety - Chris Crocker, Tom Nelson
The Bengals also signed safeties Jeromy Miles (UMass) and Bryan Evans (Georgia) as free agents.
1) Why would the Bengals not draft a safety in the early rounds?
2) Isn't now the time to draft and groom the replacements for Williams and Crocker?
What they got
Jordan Shipley gives the Bengals a slot presence. Dezmon Briscoe was a very productive wide receiver in college who has the potential to develop into a No. 2 or 3 receiver.
1) With Shipley on board, should Andre Caldwell be nervous about his roster spot?
2) Who will be cut out of this group: Chad Ochocinco, Caldwell, Briscoe, Antonio Byrant, Shipley, Quan Cosby, Matt Jones, and Jerome Simpson?
3) Do the Bengals have any plan for replacing Ochocinco?
Big 12 football
Five of the Bengals nine draft picks have come from the Big 12.
1) Does this reflect the lack of a scouting department in the Bengals organization?
When it is all said and done
The Bengals have drafted guys who can help right away. Jermaine Gresham should start at tight end. They got help on the defensive line where they had problems at the end of the 2009 season.
1) How did the Bengals do?
For more good stuff about the Bengals:
This article looks at Carson Palmer's career and why he hasn't gotten a playoff win.
This article gives five reasons why the Bengals should sign JaMarcus Russell.
This article gives five reasons why the Bengals signed Adam "Pacman" Jones.
This article wonders whether Marvin Lewis should be signed to an extension.
Don't cost nothin'.