Oilers-Canucks: Edmonton Wins in a Shootout

Martin MaleAnalyst INovember 15, 2007

Icon Sports MediaThe Edmonton Oilers finished their road trip tonight in Vancouver as they faced the Canucks.

Mathieu Garon got the start in net for the Oilers with Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers as the back-up. Oiler #1 goalie Dwayne Roloson is back in Edmonton preparing for the game against the Minnesota Wild tomorrow night.

The first 2:30 of the game had more action than many full games with both teams ringing early shots off the post. Both teams were guilty of numerous giveaways that lead to additional chances. The injury bug bit the Oilers early in this game as center Jarrett Stoll collided knee on knee with Canuck's defender Alexander Edler and had to be helped from the ice. If that is as serious as it looks, it will make seven Oiler starters on the injury list.

The Oilers got the first good chance to take the lead with Cogliano setting up Hemsky for a one-timer which found a hole through Luongo and spun on the line before Willie Mitchell cleared it to safety. The Canucks then picked up a penalty on the scramble and the league's worst power play had the first shot at the lead. Amazingly, Stoll was back on the ice for the second half of the power play. Of course the power play failed to capitalize and then it was the Canucks with their turn immediately after the Oiler power play as Shawn Horcoff is called for hooking.

The Canucks also failed to score on their first power play. The remainder of the period was spent mostly in the Oiler zone but the Canucks were unable to beat Oiler goalie Mathieu Garon. The Canucks outshot the Oilers in the period 16-5.

The Canucks came out flying in the second period as Tayler Pyatt flattened Steve Staois leaving the puck for Brad Isbister to wire over the net. The Canucks got their second power play early as Staios is forced to tackle Jannik Hansen as he had broken his stick. The Oiler penalty killers again did their job but the Canucks were buzzing.

The play in the second period is all one way in every aspect. The Canucks were hitting as Oiler Robert Nilsson got plastered along the boards by Mattias Ohlund and it turned into another good scoring chance that Garon made the save on.

With 7 minutes to go the Oilers finally had a chance and Luc Bourdon had to tackle Kyle Brodziak and the Oilers got an chance on the power play. The NHL's worst power play failed to score again and once the power play was over it was all Canucks again. A lot of end to end action with the play mostly in the Oiler end. Dustin Penner had a big hit along the boards and he was slow to leave the ice. Replays show that he was hit in the face by the stick of Ohlund. It looks like he was favoring his left shoulder.

The classless Vancouver fans start with a chant of "Oilers suck". The Oilers had a little pressure and Byron Ritchie gets called for tripping giving the Oilers their 3rd power play of the game. The Oiler power play that time was brutal and didn't come close to getting a chance. The final 20 seconds of the period gave us another post by the Canucks Kesler and another big save by Garon to keep the game scoreless through 2 periods. Shots in the period favored the Canucks 7-4 although that really doesn't give you any idea of the dominance of play they had.

The third period starts much where the second left off with lots of end to end but no real chances. The first good chance went to the Oilers as Cogliano and Gagner worked together to set up Reasoner but Loungo makes a big save. The Oilers then continue with the pressure and Horcoff got off a good shot and takes a slash on the play.

With a delayed penalty coming to Kesler the Oilers work the puck around and Loungo makes a spectacular save on Horcoff. The Oiler power play gets a couple of shots but again fails to score. The next 5 minutes sees more end to end action but neither team is able to generate a good scoring chance.

This game has had everything and it is amazing that with 2:00 to go the game is scoreless. Fantastic end to end action with lots of scoring chances and world class goaltending. The third period ends and it is still scoreless. It has been a great game for a scoreless game. Shots in the third period favored the Oilers 9-4.

The Oiler killer Sedins start the overtime for the Canucks. First it is the Canucks with a chance as Gagner is tripped with no call and Ohlund with a shot. The Oilers come back and Cogliano uses his speed to break in and Loungo with a big save. Some great end to end action as both teams want the extra point for the victory. Under a minute to go and Garon makes 2 huge saves off Kesler and another off Morrison. The overtime finishes with the Canucks outshooting the Oilers 2-0.

This was the first shootout of the season for the Canucks and the 5th shootout for the Oilers. Ritchie in and saved by Garon. Gagner in and saved by Loungo. Morrison in and poke checked by Garon. Torres in and he loses the puck. Kesler in and  Garon saves it again. Hemsky with a chance to win and he goes backhand roof to beat Luongo and the Oilers win. What a game!

Most people would look at the line score and go what a boring game but it was anything but. The Oilers did what they needed to. They got fantastic goaltending and played a good road game. They finished the road trip 2-1-1 and now go home to meet Minnesota tomorrow night in the first of 6 straight home games. The final shots for the game were 29-19 for the Canucks. Both goalies are given credit for shutouts.