Looking Back At WrestleMania 2

Jason Taylor@jtay59Correspondent IApril 7, 2010

On April 7, 1986, the World Wrestling Federation brought us "The Premiere Sporting Event Of The Year!" WrestleMania 2.

Vince McMahon decided to hold the event in three different cities at the same time, and combine them all into one presentation to be broadcast live on pay per view and closed circuit television.

Each venue would hold four matches, with their own separate main event and undercard. There would be a total of 12 matches for those fans watching on television.

The first act was held at the Nassau Coliseum in Long Island, NY, where the main event was Roddy Piper and Mr. T. squaring off in a boxing match.

On a February edition of Saturday Night's Main Event, Mr. T defeated Piper's "bodyguard" Cowboy Bob Orton in a boxing match. After the match, Piper and Orton jumped Mr. T, and Piper beat him with a belt.

Mr. T got the better of Piper, and won his WrestleMania match by disqualification, after a frustrated Piper shoved the referee to the canvas and bodyslammed Mr. T.

The attendance at the Nassau Coliseum was a sellout crowd of 16,585.

Part two was broadcast from the Rosemont Horizon in Chicago, IL, where the main event was a 20-man battle royale featuring 14 WWF wrestlers and six NFL players.

William "The Refrigerator" Perry of the hometown Chicago Bears, was the headliner of the NFL participants. Russ Francis, Bill Fralic, Jimbo Covert, Ernie Holmes, and Harvey Martin joined Perry in the battle royale.

Andre The Giant outlasted the other 19 competitors, and won the battle royale by eliminating Bret Hart and Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart.

The British Bulldogs, Davey Boy Smith and The Dynamite Kid, defeated Greg Valentine and Brutus Beefcake to win the WWF World Tag Team Championship.

The attendance at the Rosemont Horizon was 9,000.

The final segment of Wrestlemania 2 was broadcast from the Memorial Sports Arena in Los Angeles, CA.

In the main event, 14,500 fans watched Hulk Hogan battle King Kong Bundy inside a steel cage for the WWF World Heavyweight Championship.

In the closing moments of the match, Hogan survived Bundy's signature move, "The Avalanche" and delivered a scoop slam and a legdrop to the challenger.

As Hogan attempted to climb out of the cage, Bundy grabbed his leg and began to climb up the side of the cage.

A determined Hogan kicked Bundy from the cage to the mat, and climbed over the top of the cage to the floor. Hogan emerged victorious and retained the title.