Beckett quiet about new deal

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories
Beckett quiet about new deal

Boston Red Sox starter Josh Beckett hasn’t been interested in talking about his current contract situation down at Spring Training so far. Beckett is in the final year of a four-year contract, but said Sunday that he doesn’t want to discuss it publicly while down in Florida.

Beckett also said the he’s talked with the team about a possible new contract, but wouldn’t give details. We think this means that Theo Epstein pressed the “end call” button on his cell phone when Beckett said he’d like to get a new deal. But when Epstein saw him again later, he just said “Duuuude! My cell phone totally just died on me the other day! Sorry ’bout that.”

Epstein had told Beckett previously to ignore the speculation that he was on his way out of Boston. And Beckett doesn’t think Epstein would have said anything of the sort if he wasn’t sincere. We’ll see what happens, but we can’t imagine Beckett taking anything less than the five-years, $82.5 million that John Lackey just got from the club.

Load More Stories

Out of Bounds

World Cup (Cricket)

Subscribe Now

We will never share your email address

Thanks for signing up.