I like Kevin Smith as an every down back. He's not explosive but he gets the job done.
However, I have not seen enough from Maurice Morris or Aaron Brown to warrant keeping them around next year. Before you get your panties in a bunch Aaron Brown fans, consider that he has trouble remembering which way to go on a screen pass. That is NOT a rookie mistake. That is a 5th grade pee wee football mistake.
With that being said there are plenty of Aaron Brown type backs hitting the market that have more experience both running the ball and returning kicks.
1) Leon Washington, NYJ- The Jets have both Thomas Jones and rookie Shonn Greene on the roster. Leon Washington's injury put him on the IR this year, and he may be a luxury the Jets are willing to let go.
2) Willie Parker, PIT- Rashard Mendenhall is the unquestioned starter now.
3) Cadillac Williams, TB- The Bucs signed Derrick Ward for a reason, but the Cadillac has been running well this year so they might just keep him.
4) Jerious Norwood, ATL- It seems every year the Falcons plan is to get him more carries, but he never does. Perhaps he'll find a home with a larger role in Detroit?
5) Chester Taylor, MIN- Do the Vikings really even need anyone but AP? Alas, Chester will probably be resigned for a nominal sum.
6) Jerome Harrison, CLE- Nobody likes playing for Eric Mangini, especially when Chris Jennings is taking carries from you.
7) Darren Sproles, SD- (Sigh) One can only dream.
Best bets- Jerious Norwood, Jerome Harrison