It is truly a shame that some MMA companies don't have more coverage, because I witnessed a great series of fights this weekend that would have been great for any MMA fan.
We will start with Elite XC: Return of the King. I've already written one article on the event, so I'm not going to go over everything.
However, I must say that I have become a big K.J. Noons fan, and can't wait for his next fight.
The show was great from beginning to end, and was entertaining for all.
Quick Results for Return of the King:
Rafael Feijao defeats Wayne Cole via TKO at 2:47 of the first round when referee Mario Yamasaki stops the fight. (Feijao looked amazing)
Dave Herman defeats Ron Waterman via TKO at 2:19 of the first round when referee Chris West stops the fight. (Herman is a rising star)
Murilo Rua defeats Tony Bonello via TKO at 3:16 of the first round when referee Mario Yamasaki stops the fight.
Nick Diaz defeats Mushin Corbbrey via TKO at 3:59 of the third round when referee Chris West stops the fight.
K.J. Noons defeats Yves Edwards in just 48 seconds via TKO when Mario Yamasaki stops the fight due to strikes. (K.J. Noons has arrived)
If you can watch the Waterman vs. Herman, Bonella vs. Rua, and Noons vs. Edwards fights, it's some of the greatest MMA six minutes can buy. Yes, six.
Now the other card that I know that many did not see is the Dream 4 middleweight grand prix.
It aired live last night at 3 a.m., so I know many people were not watching it.
Now this was, in fact, my first Dream card to watch, and I was greatly impressed.
From the production values, to the great fights they put on, it was great from beginning to end. The quick fights were fast paced, and the fights that went to decision were action-packed.
Dream 4 Results:
Shinya Aoki defeated Katsuhiko Nagata at 5:12 of round 1 by gogoplata (first time I've ever seen someone get the gogoplata from the top)
Alistair Overeem defeated Lee Tae-Hyun at 0:36 of round 1 by punches KO. (Alistair looked unstoppable)
Ralek Gracie defeated Alavutdin Gadzhiyev at 3:02 of round 1 by armbar submission.
Hiddeo Tokoro defeated Darren Uyenoyama by round 2 unanimous decision (3-0)
Gegard Mousasi defeated Yoon Dong-Sik by round 2 unanimous decision (3-0)
Zelg Galesic defeated Taiei Kin at 1:05 of round 1 by elbow injury TKO
Ronaldo de Souza defeated Jason "Mayhem" Miller by round 2 unanimous decision (3-0) (another great fight)
Melvin Manhoef defeated Kazushi Sakuraba at 1:30 of round 1 by punches and knees KO (Sakuraba got owned)
Overall a wonderful card, and it is a shame a lot of people missed it. If you have HDnet, I suggest you catch the replay.
The first Adrenaline show took place this weekend as well, and although I missed it, the reports all state it was a stellar show, and I wanted to post the results for those who did not see it.
- Welterweight – Mike Stumpf def. Dom O'Grady, TKO (strikes), 3:53 of second round
- Welterweight – Tom Belt def. Marcus Levesseur, TKO (strikes), 4:10 of first round
- Heavyweight – Antwjuan Hayes def. Kerry Schall, unanimous decision, 29-28 x3
- Light Heavyweight – Aaron Rosa def. Ron Fields, TKO (strikes), :34 of second round
- Middleweight – Hector Urbina def. Dave Kleczkowski, TKO (strikes), 1:19 of second round
- Light Heavyweight – Louis Taylor def. Adam Maciejewski, unanimous decision, 30-27, 29-28 x2
- Bantamweight – Joe Pearson def. John Hosman, submission (triangle choke), 1:42 of first round
- Heavyweight – Mike Russow def. Jason Guida, submission (guillotine choke), 2:13 of first round
- Middleweight – Terry Martin def. Daiju Takase, disqualification, 3:35 of second round
- Middleweight – Forrest Petz def. Brian Gassaway, unanimous decision, 29-28 x3
- Lightweight – Bart Palaszewski def. Jeff Cox, KO (kick), 3:07 of second round
- Middleweight – Rory Markham def. Jay Ellis, submission (triangle choke), :57 of first round
- Lightweight – French def. Massouh, submission (rear-naked choke), 3:18 of second round
- Welterweight – Joe Jordan def. Ryan Williams, unanimous decision, 29-28 x3
Like I said, a great weekend of fights was missed by most and if you can find a way to watch any of them, I highly recommend it.