Time for round seven of this year's NFC West featured columnist competition!
For those of you who are unfamiliar with this competition, please click here for a brief outline of the rules as well as a small bio of each contestant.
In short, this is a pick 'em competition. Contestants are in teams of two, each representing the team they write for on Bleacher Report.
Each week, I will publish an article which announces the picks, such as this. Additionally, I will publish a results article once the games are completed, which will include weekly and yearly standings.
Observations from Week Seven Picks
- Everybody likes the Packers, Colts, Pats, Panthers, and Eagles— I have a growing suspicion that the "Everybody Likes" section has just turned into a "Everybody Hates" section. Just kidding... But seriously... It seems that each week not a single contestant will endorse the Rams (against Indianapolis this week), Buccaneers (against New England this week), or Chiefs (against San Diego this week), etc...
- The Underdog Picks —Six picks qualify for the Underdog Bonus this week. Not great, but it's better than nothing... Scotty (Dallas over Atlanta), Andrew (Chicago over Cincinnati), Chris (Arizona over NY Giants), and Steven (Chicago over Cincinnati) all put in one Underdog choice, while Ron took the "Go Big or Go Home" philosophy and took two Underdog choices (Dallas over Atlanta and Miami over New Orleans). Week seven could feature some serious Underdog choices...
- Only One (Legitimate) Split —I know what you're thinking, Wait, where were two splits! That may be true, but I'm only counting one... The contestants split over the 49ers/Texans game, which seemed to perplex most predictions this week, but the unbelievable predictions came in the Jets/Raiders game. Somehow, the contestants split 4-4 in that game, with four contestants endorsing the Raiders. I'm not saying JaMarcus Russell will personally dig these contestants' graves, but...
- Separation Weekend!— One of the split decisions this week has the potential to create some serious separation in this competition. In the Jets/Raiders game, the picks are split between the Seahawks/49ers and the Cardinals/Rams. Rob, Scotty, Andrew, and Dray all chose the Jets to win this game, while Ron, Seth, Chris, and Steven all chose the Raiders. This game could either close some ground between these teams, or expand the lead that the Hawks/Niners are enjoying.
- Rob and Scotty: The Even Couple —Rob and Scotty are still high on life after assuming the competition lead. With that in mind, they seem to be quite fond of each other's picks. These two agreed on a competition-high 12 of 13 picks in week seven. This could either extend their lead, or drop them back into the fray...
- Homer Alert —One enormous homer pick sticks out in week seven: Chris picking Arizona over the New York Giants. This isn't to say that Arizona has no chance, as they dismantled the Seattle Seahawks last week. Instead, this is to say that the New York Giants, by most predictions, are simply a better team. This could earn Chris some Underdog points, but is sure is a risky call...
Without further ado, here are the picks. Please comment below with your thoughts.