ESPN FC passed on Atleti's announcement on Friday:
ESPN FC @ESPNFC
BREAKING: Atletico Madrid striker Fernando Torres has been released from hospital after his head injury. https://t.co/8IpaQkOzzo2017-3-3 09:56:20
Torres had to be taken off the pitch on a stretcher while wearing a neck brace during the Deportivo match after he clashed heads with Alex Bergantinos and then hit his head again on the ground after the fall, according to Dermot Corrigan of ESPN FC.
Atlético de Madrid @atletienglish
Thanks for the messages of support for @Torres. He’s stable and conscious. He’ll spend the night in hospital and undergo more tests tomorrow2017-3-2 22:14:33
AS English showed Torres being treated on the pitch after the scary injury:
AS English @English_AS
Torres in hospital after being left unconscious by sickening clash of heads https://t.co/inTmybzWMY https://t.co/Vu3PtbB0VM2017-3-2 21:53:43
Manager Diego Simeone said that he feared Torres broke his neck, per soccer writer Colin Millar, while noting that everyone was "worried" and "nervous."
David Cartlidge of beIN Sports provided more information from Radio Marca regarding Torres' status:
David Cartlidge @davidjaca
Atleti confirm severe head trauma for Torres and he will spend night in hospital under close observation. #LaLiga2017-3-2 21:48:00
Many of his team-mates immediately rushed to his aid after the injury, with some grabbing his tongue as he lay on the pitch, according to
"It was something very scary for us all," Atletico full-back Filipe Luis said after the match, per Corrigan. "News we've received so far is positive, most important is Fernando recovers OK."
Torres, 32, has appeared in 20 La Liga matches this season, scoring five goals and adding two assists. He has also appeared in five Champions League contests, adding a goal and an assist. Torres has revitalized his career with the Spanish giants after three-and-a-half disappointing seasons at Chelsea, generally serving as a super sub for Simeone.