For the Eagles, the Kansas City Chiefs were like the girl you hook up with right after getting dumped - just what you needed. After getting trounced by the Saints last week, the Birds bounced back nicely against an absolutely atrocious KC team, winning convincingly 34-14.
Among the story lines of the game were Michael Vick's return from oblivion, Kevin Kolb's shot at redemption and the starting debut of rookie LeSean McCoy.
Here are some observations from Sunday's action:
- This just in - the Chiefs are terrible.
- Kolb's performance was excellent. He showed poise, control of the offense and fantastic accuracy on his throws. Granted, he got no pressure from the Chiefs' 3-4 defense, but he made the plays he had to make. He is slowly justifying Andy Reid's second-round selection.
- Akeem Jordan was everywhere today. He's an aggressive young player who gets caught out of position occasionally, but man he flies around the field. It seemed like he was in on every tackle.
- Broderick Bunkley is a monster. After playing in Mike Patterson's shadow the past two seasons, Bunk is becoming a real difference-maker at tackle.
- Was it just me, or did DeSean Jackson's touchdown flip seem to come dangerously close to starting before he crossed the plane of the end zone? Please, just run it in DeSean.
- Ellis Hobbs better stick to returning kickoffs and stop any nonsense talk about him being a starter at cornerback.
- There aren't many other defensive ends who get to the sideline faster than Trent Cole.
- Both Jason Peters and Winston Justice stoned two very high draft picks in KC defensive ends Glenn Dorsey and Tyson Jackson. Neither are expected to make much impact as pass rushers in the 3-4, but they didn't sniff Kolb all game.
- Brent Celek is on his way to a Pro Bowl season. He's becoming a go-to guy on third downs, and few players take more punishment.
- For the third game in a row, we didn't hear rookie safety Macho Harris' name much. Depending on how you look at it, that's probably a good thing. He's not making too many mistakes, and besides some poor tackling last week he's doing his job.
- Still waiting for the wildcat to produce something big. But man, it is exciting when Vick gets in there.