Good news, Newcastle fans: For all the Magpies' activity in the transfer market over the past year, the club managed to pick up the bargain of the January transfer window.
The study found that Steve McClaren's side underpaid Swansea City to the tune of £11.5 million for Jonjo Shelvey, though it also concluded that Newcastle overspent £5.4 million on Tottenham Hotspur's £12 million winger Andros Townsend.
Bleacher Report UK @br_uk
#ThatMomentWhen you complete a *dream* move to Chinese football #JacksonMartinez https://t.co/z7aipEUIBM2016-2-3 08:55:08
As for the worst deals of the window, Jackson Martinez's £31 million move from Atletico Madrid to Guangzhou tops the list (the Chinese club are said to have overpaid a whopping £18.43 million for the Colombian), while Ramires' shock £25 million move from Chelsea to Jiangsu Suning was apparently overfunded by £8.36 million.
Best Deals of the January Transfer Window
- Jonjo Shelvey (Swansea-Newcastle): £12 million (underpaid by £11.5 million)
- Augusto Fernandez (Celta Vigo-Atletico Madrid): £5 million [reported] (underpaid by £2.48 million)
- Mario Suarez (Fiorentina-Watford): £4 million [reported] (underpaid by £2.24 million)
Worst Deals of the January Transfer Window
- Jackson Martinez (Atletico Madrid-Guangzhou): £31 million (overpaid by £18.43 million)
- Ramires (Chelsea-Jiangsu Suning): £25 million [reported] (overpaid by £8.36 million)
- Lewis Grabban (Norwich-Bournemouth): £7 million (overpaid by £6 million)
*Best and worst deals per CIES Football Observatory