Borussia Monchengladbach are preparing to make a move for Chelsea loan star Andreas Christensen on a permanent basis this summer. Plus, Crystal Palace co-owner Steve Parish has lifted the lid on his side's failed January move for Loic Remy.
Christensen has spent the past six months on loan at Stadion im Borussia-Park, and Gladbach manager Andre Schubert has said he wants to keep the centre-back beyond this season, per the Daily Star's Chisanga Malata: "I would appreciate it if he would stay with Borussia for a very long time. He is a super defender and just a good footballer. This is a decision for Max Eberl [the club's director of sport]. I can only express my wishes."
The 19-year-old is enjoying the first-team responsibilities he's been handed in Germany this season and has started in all 25 of his appearances for the Foals, who currently sit sixth in the Bundesliga.
Christensen netted a brace in Friday's 5-1 win over Werder Bremen, the first senior goals of his career, and BT Sport's Archie Rhind-Tutt noted that achievement as just reward for his improvements this season:
Archie Rhind-Tutt @archiert1
19-year-old Andreas Christensen with the first goals of his senior career tonight. Been great for Gladbach this season, so a good reward.2016-2-5 20:45:33
However, Gladbach's chances of hanging onto the two-times capped Denmark international may not look all that bright when taking into account the fact John Terry is poised to leave Stamford Bridge at the end of this season.
Chelsea have Gary Cahill, Kurt Zouma and newly signed Matt Miazga as backup in central defence, but Christensen could prove to be the most prodigious talent of the lot. Meanwhile, ESPN FC's Tony Evans and Dave Kidd of the Mirror recently told BT Sport they believe Chelsea are making the wrong decision letting Terry leave this summer:
BT Sport Football @btsportfootball
"@ChelseaFC lack leadership!" @TonyEvans92a and @davekiddmirror believe it will be a mistake to let John Terry go. https://t.co/CCJsY9Zg902016-2-3 19:47:10
The Blues must think highly of Christensen after the Daily Mail's Neil Ashton reported in April 2014 that the player was earning £20,000 a week. According to Ashton, Chelsea beat competition from Barcelona, Manchester United and Manchester City to sign the player.
Elsewhere, it's been revealed Crystal Palace attempted to lure Remy from Stamford Bridge in the winter transfer window. Club figurehead Parish told Holmesdale Radio of the club's failed interest in a January swoop (h/t Croydon Advertiser's Mark Ritson):
That was definitely a player we thought about over a period of time. He's a very, very talented player who Alan has worked with before, but other things would have had to fall into place for us to do that deal. It never looked realistic from days before the deadline, so we weren't really involved, but he's a very good player.
Eagles manager Alan Pardew signed Remy on a season-long loan during his time at the helm of Newcastle United, and his lack of action so far this season may well have made him available.
However, Goal's Liam Twomey agreed with Chelsea's decision to keep the player at Stamford Bridge, with Radamel Falcao—on loan from Monaco—struggling for fitness and form:
Liam Twomey @liam_twomey
Makes no sense for Chelsea to let Remy leave in this window even if he is unsettled. Puts far too much pressure on Pato & Traore #cfc2016-2-1 22:19:54
Remy has made just four starts for the Blues across all competitions this season, and with Euro 2016 coming up, the France striker may himself have been open to the thought of a move away to get first-team action.
It wasn't to be for Parish's Palace, however, and the 29-year-old appears likely to remain in his west London limbo until at least this summer.