Football Association chairman Greg Dyke will not be pursuing re-election for another term in July, as revealed on Thursday.
Martyn Ziegler of the Press Association broke the news on Twitter:
BREAKING: Greg Dyke will NOT seek re-election for another term as FA chairman— Martyn Ziegler (@martynziegler) January 28, 2016
The FA shared Dyke's statement in full on their official website:
As you know, in early January I announced I would stand as Chairman of The FA for a further year although I wasn’t certain this was the right decision for either The FA or me.
During January, however, as work on options for governance reform crystalised it became clear to all of us that there wouldn’t be a unanimous position on governance reform in the Board.
What now appears to be the case is that there is a majority position on the Board for much needed significant reform. I fully support this but I recognise it is going to be a fight to get through The FA Council.
I had already decided that if no reform was possible I was going to leave anyway this summer, a position I had shared with a number of colleagues.
What I now see is that even if we get the reform through (which will be a difficult and divisive process although essential), I am probably not the best person to pick up the pieces following the inevitable discord.
This is not the time for me to tell you what I think has been achieved in my time at The FA but we are in a dramatically better financial position and I believe we have a much stronger executive team, we have a bold plan to build many more all-weather pitches, we have radically changed the coaching education structure and have massively increased investment behind the England teams.
We have also raised the all-important question of giving more young English players a chance to play at the top level in this country. All this and we still have a strong balance sheet.
However, whichever way the vote goes on reform, I think The FA will need more of a conciliatory figure than me to build on what has been achieved.
So having said all that you’ve probably guessed what I intend to say. I have changed my mind about standing for a final year in the summer but I will devote my time in the coming months to press for acceptance of the Board’s much needed, long overdue reform programme.
BBC Sport's Richard Conway and the Guardian's Owen Gibson explained his reasoning:
Not so subtle subtext to Dyke statement - The FA Council is a roadblock to reform. Faces struggle to achieve aims and will leave in June.— Richard Conway (@richard_conway) January 28, 2016
Dyke has realised, arguably too late in his tenure, that reform of the FA Council is crucial to reform of the FA.— Owen Gibson (@owen_g) January 28, 2016
There's irony is Dyke calling for a more conciliatory figure to lead reform. His predecessor was exactly that - and still left frustrated.— Owen Gibson (@owen_g) January 28, 2016
Paul Kelso of Sky News summed up Dyke's reign in charge and noted it did not quite reach its lofty ambitions:
And so ends a highly entertaining, voluble tenure that, if longer on ambition than achievement, restored a bit of confidence to the FA— Paul Kelso (@pkelso) January 28, 2016
Rob Harris of the Associated Press and sports journalist Francis Keogh reiterated that position:
With Greg Dyke leaving, will soon be no remaining members of the FA leadership which set England the target of winning the 2022 World Cup— Rob Harris (@RobHarris) January 28, 2016
Disappointed that Greg Dyke won't be at the FA when England win the 2022 World Cup in Qatar Cough— Francis Keogh (@HonestFrank) January 28, 2016
Fellow journalists Peter McKinney and Neil Cameron pulled no punches in their own assessment of his tenure:
Greg Dyke has been bitterly disappointing. His backing of Platini, the farcical B team plans, very poor IMHO. https://t.co/SiQsYcRaxL— Peter McKinney (@PeteMc78) January 28, 2016
Greg Dyke is to step down as FA chairman. I am really surprised he was utterly useless, said nobody ever.— Neil Cameron (@NeilCameron5) January 28, 2016
Dyke caused controversy in the draw for the 2014 FIFA World Cup by appearing to make a throat-cutting gesture as England were pitted against Uruguay, Italy and Costa Rica, but Ziegler reflected kindly on the incident:
Personally I thought Dyke's infamous throat-cutting gesture was great. And accurate. pic.twitter.com/0tYWXJWwON— Martyn Ziegler (@martynziegler) January 28, 2016
The 68-year-old was formerly the chairman of Brentford prior to taking over from David Bernstein at the FA in July 2013 and was director general of the BBC from 2000 to 2004.