The Mirror (h/t Alex Wood of the Daily Star) reported the midfielder is being tracked by the Gunners and Paris Saint-Germain, but Sissoko has now spoken publicly about his immediate future.
Sissoko told French football show Telefoot (h/t Wood) he is currently content with the Magpies:
I don't think I'm going to leave Newcastle. First of all, the club does not want to let me go, and with only a few months until the Euros, I ask myself, 'Is this the right time?' Obviously our results aren't great, but I'm lucky enough to be playing every weekend and put in some good performances. I'm also lucky enough to be in the France squad. So I think it's probably best to try to finish the season as well as possible and then see what my future brings.
Sissoko has been consistently linked with Gunners for the past 12 months after telling Telefoot (h/t Telegraph's Luke Edwards) last year: "Arsenal has always been the club of my heart."
According to Neil Moxley of the Sunday People (h/t the Daily Mirror's Aaron Flanagan), the 26-year-old is currently holding out for £100,000-per-week wage packet from Newcastle, and the interest from Arsenal and PSG certainly strengthens his position after previously admitting he wants to play Champions League football.
The Frenchman has made 22 appearances for the famous northeast club during the current season, per Squawka.com, and his reputation has improved immensely despite Newcastle's poor campaign.
Bleacher Report's Arsenal writer James McNicholas was one of many convinced he would have made a superb addition to the squad in previous transfer windows, pointing out that he wouldn't be a direct competitor for Francis Coquelin, who was emerging into a first-team regular at the time.
In other news, Mathieu Debuchy is tipped to depart Arsenal before the end of the January transfer window, as Aston Villa stand by to capture the defender.
French newspaper L’Équipe (h/t Jamie Anderson of the Daily Star) reported Debuchy will join the Midlands club on a six-month loan, helping him achieve a regular chance of first-team football.
Shortly before the current window opened, football writer Samuel Jay C said he was skeptical if Arsenal would allow Debuchy to exit:
Can't see #afc letting go of Debuchy in Jan unless replacement signed; would leave only 7 defenders. Not sure if Jenkinson can be recalled.— Sam (@samuelJayC) December 15, 2015
After the emergence and brilliant form of Hector Bellerin, it is unlikely the Frenchman will ever be considered first choice at the Emirates Stadium.
Debuchy is a full-back of great quality, but now he needs minutes under his belt after plenty of time in the treatment room.
Villa need reinforcements if they are to pull off a miracle and stay in the Premier League, and the capture of the defender will help add stability to their cause in the months ahead.