Real Madrid will aim to "strike back" from their two-window transfer ban by making a move for Barcelona prodigy Xavi Simons, it's been reported, and Los Merengues are already in contact with the player's parents.
Josep Capdevila of Spanish daily Sport alleged Real Madrid president Florentino Perez sees a move for one of Barca's brightest starlets as the ideal way for his club to gain come redemption after their suspension.
BBC Sport revealed on Thursday Los Merengues would be suspended from registering new players for the next two transfer windows—not including the current January market—for their signing of underage players from abroad.
It would serve as slightly poetic, therefore, if Los Blancos' first capture after being served that punishment was for a Barcelona youngster being tipped for great things in the years to come.
Simons, 12, currently plays for Barca's Infantil B side and was nominated best Alevin player at the 2015 Mediterranean International Cup, one of the most prestigious international youth tournaments in Europe.
More recently, the soon-to-be teenager was elected the Player of the Tournament at the La Liga Promises competition, where South American broadcaster Juan Arango picked the Barca boy out as a special talent:
Simons was born in Amsterdam but moved to Alicante as a youngster before joining Barcelona's academy ranks in 2010, making his move through the youth setup and consistently featuring as one of the biggest prospects.
The youngster is the son of former Eredivisie striker Regillio Simons, a good friend of ex-Barca and Netherlands forward Patrick Kluivert, who may have played a hand in getting Simons to the Camp Nou.
According to the Daily Mail's Matt Barlow, Premier League giants Chelsea are also interested in a move for Simons, who is courting serious European interest, despite the fact he doesn't turn 13 until April of this year.
Real Madrid may not be able to make major moves in the transfer market for 18 months, but another young asset rumoured to be on their wishlist is Boca Juniors midfielder Rodrigo Bentancur.
That's according to Charly Siffredi of Spanish daily Marca, who reported Los Blancos have already offered the 18-year-old a deal, but there's a major complication in the youngster's contract.
Siffredi quoted a member of the Boca board, who confessed Juventus agreed a first refusal bargain for Bentancur as part of Carlos Tevez's sale last year. He said: "The transfer deal was priced at €9.4 million (£7.2 million). Any club that tops that will get him. That said, if Juve equal that offer, he's theirs."
Real Madrid have made huge strides to improve their youth options in the last year and more, adding the likes of Martin Odegaard, 17, Marco Asensio, 19, and Jesus Vallejo, 19, to their ranks.
Boca know Uruguayan up-and-comer Bentancur has potential, and the Argentinian giants are allegedly willing to hand their starlet more responsibilities in the hope of pushing up his price tag.