FC Barcelona logoFC Barcelona

Barcelona Transfer News: Luis Enrique Confirms Shortlist Submitted, Top Rumours

FC Barcelona's coach Luis Enrique arrives for the final match against River Plate at the FIFA Club World Cup soccer tournament in Yokohama, near Tokyo, Sunday, Dec. 20, 2015. (AP Photo/Shuji Kajiyama)
Shuji Kajiyama/Associated Press
Christopher SimpsonFeatured ColumnistJanuary 2, 2016

Barcelona manager Luis Enrique has said he is aiming to make signings in January and has told the club which players he wants to bring in.

According to Javier Giraldo of Sport, he said he would be, "Delighted to be able to count on what I have asked the club and the Three Kings for, but I never make public what I say to the club."

Though he would not give names, he added he's working "with the objective to improve the squad, then, after that, we will see what we can achieve."

Despite being banned from registering new players for the entirety of 2015, the Blaugrana enjoyed an incredible year, winning five of the six possible trophies up for grabs.

Eugene Hoshiko/Associated Press

Their attacking trident of Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez and Neymar was in sublime form all year long, per Grup 14's Rafael Hernandez:

The club are also firmly in contention to win La Liga yet again and can finally register Arda Turan and Aleix Vidal following their arrivals in the summer.

Barcelona's first-choice XI is simply phenomenal. Indeed, many would consider it the best in the world—better even than Bayern Munich or Real Madrid's.

Nevertheless, further additions to the squad as a whole would be highly useful to keep them on course for more silverware in 2016.

Barca either sold or loaned out a number of useful squad players last summer, including Pedro Rodriguez, Gerard Deulofeu, Adama Traore and Alen Halilovic, so even with Turan and Vidal coming into the squad, there can be legitimate concern over their depth in certain positions.

While the Catalan giants' ability to achieve such success last year with a relatively thin squad is a huge testament to their quality and resilience, they'd be wise not to rest on their laurels and reinforce if they can, particularly with campaigns on multiple fronts and a potentially tough Champions League tie with Arsenal awaiting.

Espanyol's defender Alvaro Gonzalez (L) heads the ball with Celta Vigo's forward Nolito during the Spanish league football match Celta Vigo vs Real CD Espanyol at the Balaidos stadium in Vigo on December 12, 2015.  AFP PHOTO / MIGUEL RIOPA / AFP / MIGUEL
MIGUEL RIOPA/Getty Images

One possible target for Enrique is Celta Vigo forward Nolito, with Sport (h/t Goal) reporting the Spaniard is prepared to turn down a move to Arsenal as he is hoping to make a return to the Camp Nou.

The 29-year-old, who has scored eight goals and assisted five more this season, would make a useful back-up to Barca's front three should one be injured or suspended, and having played over 100 times for Barca B in his youth, Nolito is familiar with the inner workings and philosophy of the club.

However, the report further notes because of Nolito's €18 million release clause, Barca would either have to sell first in order to buy or settle for a cheaper target.

Where can I comment?

Stay on your game

Latest news, insights, and forecasts on your teams across leagues.

Choose Teams
Get it on the App StoreGet it on Google Play

Real-time news for your teams right on your mobile device.

Download
Copyright © 2017 Bleacher Report, Inc. Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. All Rights Reserved. BleacherReport.com is part of Bleacher Report – Turner Sports Network, part of the Turner Sports and Entertainment Network. Certain photos copyright © 2017 Getty Images. Any commercial use or distribution without the express written consent of Getty Images is strictly prohibited. AdChoices