Stanley Cup Finals Game 2: Penguins Flightless; Red Wings Get Second Shutout Win

Anthony WaiCorrespondent IMay 26, 2008

Detroit, Michigan, USA.

After losing the opening game of the Stanley Cup Finals on Saturday, the Pittsburgh Penguins hoped to even the series on Memorial Day.

Unfortunately, it didn't happen for Sidney Crosby and company, as the Detroit Red Wings won game 2 at an embarrassing score of 3-0.

Goalie Chris Osgood was in net for Detroit, and became only the fourth goalie in NHL history to record shutout wins in the first two games of the finals. The previous time it occurred was five years ago in 2003, by Martin Brodeur of the New Jersey Devils against the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim.

The Penguins now head back home to Pittsburgh for Wednesday's game 3.


The Penguin's best chances came in the first period, but that wasn't saying much as they did not register a shot on goal until Sergei Gonchar's attempt at the 7:59 remaining mark.

By this time, Detroit already had 8 shots and a goal by Brad Stuart at 13:05, which was his first playoff goal this year.

Detroit seemed in control for most of the period, with the Penguins appearing sluggish and unable to generate much scoring chances in the offensive zone.

By this time, they seemed to have an extra jump in their skates, but the defense gave numerous rebounds in front of Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury.

With 8:42 remaining, a risky turnover in front of the Penguins' goal led to Henrik Zetterberg firing a shot that trickled past Fleury. A quick sweep by Holmstrom ensured that the tumbling puck would enter the goal, before anyone could scramble for it.

2-0, Red Wings lead.

By the time the first intermission had begun, the shots were overwhelmingly in the Red Wings' favor 12-6.


During the second period, very little action happened as both goalies only faced 16 total shots between them.

With approximately 4:18 remaining, there was one gem of an opportunity for Pittsburgh, as Jordan Staal's shot rebounded off Osgood and slid by the uncovered side of the goal. But no one was nearby to slap in the rebound, and the Penguins continued to struggle for more scoring chances.

With 2:33 remaining, Sidney Crosby made a rare pass across the slot  to Staal, who couldn't manage the jumping puck.

Otherwise, very little action occurred in game's middle passage.


In the third period, the Penguins had some sporadic rushes on net, but were unable to sustain them long enough to develop any dangerous plays.

With 11:12 remaining, Detroit's Vallteri Filppula dived at a loose puck in front of the Penguins' net. While he flew in mid-air Bobby Orr-style, he swiped at it and scored to give Detroit a 3-0 lead.

As play continued on, the home crowd at Detroit's Joe Louis Arena chanted "Ozzie! Ozzie!" in homage to Osgood's shutting down of Pittsburgh's offensive stars.

The Penguins grew increasingly frustrated at being unable to yet score in the series, which led to some ill-tempered cheap shots by their players.

With 1:08 remaining, Peter Sykora's bump into Osgood caused all players on the ice to grab each other in a frenzied scrum. As blood spilled on Pittsburgh defenseman Brooks Orkpik's white jersey, players from both sides exchanged punches.

During the extended stoppage in play afterwards as officials sorted out the mess, the home crowd continued their chants of "Ozzie!" to their team's goalie.

The Red Wings finished the game with a power play, and Chris Osgood got his name on another NHL playoff record.

For the Penguins, they are now down 2-0 in the best-of-seven series.

Game 3 of the Stanley Cup Finals will be on Wednesday, May 28th at 8pm Eastern Time. NBC will be broadcasting in the US, while CBC will provide coverage for Canada.