Sad News: Legendary Tigers Broadcaster Ernie Harwell Has Incurable Cancer
The 91-year-old Harwell, who was in the Tigers’ broadcast booth from 1960 until he retired in 2002, remains upbeat after an inoperable tumor was found in the area of the bile duct.
Harwell is later quoted as saying that whatever is in store, he’s ready for a “new adventure.” He said he’s lost some weight but is not in pain.
The Hall of Fame broadcaster spent 42 of his 55 years in the profession announcing Tigers games, and is among the all-time titans of the industry.
If you’re like me, and you’ve heard of Ernie Harwell and understand the affection that Tigers fans have for him, but don’t necessarily know a whole lot about him, here are some links. I’m about to get check these out. You too.
- Ernie Harwell quotes — (Baseball Almanac)
- Ernie Harwell Hall of Famer — (Radio Hall of Fame)
- Ernie Harwell fans share stories online — (Detroit Free Press)
- Ernie Harwell life and bio — (Wikipedia)
* – Ernie Harwell photo credit: Detroit Public Library
What is the duplicate article?
Why is this article offensive?
Where is this article plagiarized from?
Why is this article poorly edited?