Egyptian Star Amr Zaki seems to be one step closer to joining Wigan Athletic this upcoming summer. Wigan, who finished the Premier League in 14th place, have made no secret of their desire to sign the Egypt striker.
Steve Bruce was present at a Zamalek (one of the top Egyptian Clubs) league game towards the end of last season, where Zaki scored twice, and was said to be sufficiently persuaded to pay six million pounds for the attacker.
Zaki was hugely impressive in his country’s Africa Cup of Nations triumph this year, where he was an integral member of the starting XI.
The 25 year old had previously been on the books of Russian giants Lokomotiv Moscow but failed to make a single appearance.
He has however, been hugely impressive for Zamalek since signing in 2006 where he has netted 22 times in 54 appearances. He has also a formidable international scoring record; 21 goals in 40 caps, including two Africa Cup Of Nations semi final goals—in 2006 and 2008.
The deal will be seen as a considerable coup for Bruce and Wigan; Zaki comes with the reputation of being one of the best African strikers still playing on the continent.
- Incredible physical frame that has the ability to be defensively harassed and still be able to finish off a play. Nicknamed "Bulldozer".
- Finishing in front of goal lies as his greatest advantage. Finishing off rebounds from goalkeepers is highly present.
- Very active inside the 18 yard box; occasionally steps down and creates plays for others.
- Headers in front of goal are highly efficient.
- Can create something out of nothing with his high activity.
- Asserts himself quickly into a game.
- High football IQ in the 18 yard box.
- Satisfactory ball handling abilities; occasionally stumbles.
- Has no particular skills outside the 18 yard box.
- Dribbling ability outside penalty area is poor.
- Gets too frustrated easily with officials' calls.
- Occasionally uses his physical strength violently to create space.
- Low football IQ outside the 18 yard box