USA Today released its 2009 preseason Top 25 Coaches Poll today for the upcoming college football season and has Ohio State at #6. I can't say I'm disappointed with this ranking one bit.
There is a bunch of very solid teams this year and the first time in recent memory as many in the same season. Subsequently, there is a real possibility for the the season to end and still have three, four or possibly even five or six undefeated teams standing, which would undoubtedly put incredible pressure on the BCS to sort out the madness and calm the red-faced mobs of irate fans screaming for a playoff to be implemented.
If such is the scenario, it would be the best case yet for some sort of playoff system. Might I suggest this one?
Okay, I'm gettting ahead of myself. I will also be posting my top 25 after completing the "Conference Breakdown" series, which I can already tell you is going to differ quite a bit from what you see here.
Here's how the coaches see it right now:
1. Florida Gators | Last Year: 13-1 | 1,466 Points
2. Texas Longhorns | Last Year: 12-1 | 1,386 Points
3. Oklahoma Sooners | Last Year: 12-2 | 1,358 Points
4. USC Trojans | Last Year: 12-1 | 1,321 Points
5. Alabama Crimson Tide | Last Year: 12-2 | 1,134 Points
6. Ohio State Buckeyes | Last Year: 10-3 | 1,126 Points
8. Penn State Nittany Lions | Last Year: 11-2 | 988 Points
9. LSU Tigers | Last Year: 8-5 | 917 Points
10. Mississippi Rebels | Last Year: 9-4 | 889 Points
The rest of the top 25:
11. Oklahomas State
15. Geogia Tech
16. Boise State
19. Florida State
20. North Carolina
23. Notre Dame
25. Oregon State
Original story: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/usatpoll.htm