Both Mikkel Kessler (41-1, 31 KOs) and Team Sauerland announced today with the winning bid of $2,114,000 (USD) his first fight under his new promotional team will be a mandatory defense of his WBA super middleweight title against Gusmyl Perdomo (16-2, 10 KOs).
Chris Meyer, General Manager of Team Sauerland, stated, “We really wanted to promote Mikkel´s first fight as a member of our team,” he said. “We will announce the date and the venue soon.”
“I am happy to be back in the ring,” Kessler said. “It will mark the beginning of a long and successful cooperation with Team Sauerland.”
A date being looked at is Sept. 12. Just a few weeks before the start of the 168 lb. tournament.
While Perdomo, who hails from Venezuela, is relatively unknown it still can be viewed as a huge gamble for Kessler to put his title on the line right before the much anticipated super middleweight classic.
Kessler, however, just sees it as part of the job. “As the mandatory challenger he deserves to fight for the title,” added Kessler. “I will definitely not underestimate him.”
“Of course I want to take my WBA belt into the tournament,” Kessler said. “The fight against Perdomo is the last obstacle that I need to overcome. I will be prepared and I will be ready for him.”
Kessler taking this fight can also be viewed as a good thing as he has not been in the ring since October of last year when he stopped Danio Haussler in the third round in the initial defense of his WBA strap.
If successful against Perdomo, Kessler is scheduled to defend his title against 2004 Olympic gold medalist Andre "S.O.G." Ward in the first stage of the potentially historic tournament.
* * * * *
Questions and comments can be sent to email@example.com