Welcome to Bleacher Report's recap of this week's Main Event. Here is where we take a look at what happened on the show, examining the winners, reactions to matches and any possible ramifications coming out of the program.
This week's show was rather uneventful in terms of storyline development, but WWE made up for that with some pretty entertaining wrestling.
Even the Divas' match had a few things to like, and that's not just because we saw a certain Diva's rear end.
Let's take a look at everything that went down, and was pulled down, on this week's Main Event.
We were supposed to get a MizTV segment with Dolph Ziggler, but Miz sent out Damien Sandow to do his dirty work yet again.
Simply because Sandow hasn't had this much mic time in months, this was way more entertaining than Miz could have been on his own show. There's just something inherently watchable about him.
They did a quick exchange of "Really" and Ziggler mocked some of Sandow's past personas like Magneto and the ballerina. It was all very predictable, but still worked.
As expected, Ziggler and Sandow had a battle of wits before Sandow tried to attack him, ultimately being sent packing by the intercontinental champion.
Notes and Highlights:
- Did anyone else find it funny when Sandow ripped off his breakaway pants and yelled "Action!" before getting in the ring on Monday?
- Ziggler is great as a babyface, but he should be a cocky babyface like Shawn Michaels instead of trying to be the "People's champion."
- Even with a title belt around his waist, Ziggler still hits an amazing dropkick.
Zigglers dropkicks are always perfect! #MainEvent #MizTV2014-9-3 00:08:23
Dolph Ziggler vs. Damien Sandow
The previous segment was turned into a match during the very short commercial break, allegedly by The Authority. They have apparently adopted the Teddy Long strategy of booking.
Sandow and Ziggler put on a decent match that highlighted both of their stronger attributes. It was definitely one of the best showings Sandow has had in months, but he still ended up taking the pin after a Zig Zag.
This wasn't a show-stealer, but it was a lot of fun. Seeing Sandow actually get some time in front of the camera is the best thing that has come out of his new gimmick.
Winner: Dolph Ziggler
Notes and Highlights:
- Sandow looked like he may have had a tooth loosened by a jawbreaker. In any other situation, this would sound like a warning about the popular candy.
- Michael Cole accidentally called Sandow "Miz" at one point. His outfit must have confused the veteran announcer.
- Right after this match was over, it was announced that Jerry Springer would be appearing on Raw to help The Bella Twins work out their differences. He better bring Pete with him if he hopes to keep things civilized.
𝓢𝓽𝒆𝓿𝒆𝓷 🏳️🌈 @GayCubComrade
Even though Sandow lost; I'm not mad. He got to ACTUALLY wrestle, and I love Ziggler, so I'm happy either way. #MainEvent2014-9-3 00:20:56
I pop every time Ziggler hits the Zig Zag. Can't help it... Natural reaction to awesomeness. #MainEvent2014-9-3 00:16:58
Rosa Mendes and Natalya vs. Layla and Summer Rae
Now that Total Divas is coming back, we can expect to see a lot more matches like this in the coming weeks. It's great to see a wider variety of Divas being featured, but they need to be featured in a smart way.
Rosa wrestled for a few minutes before Natalya finally got in the ring and picked up the pace. It was evident that Rosa is not as technical as some of her peers, but she definitely looked like she was trying hard and you have to give her credit for that.
There was a bit of miscommunication when Rosa tagged herself in and was then immediately kicked in the face to give Summer and Layla the win.
Sometimes you can tell when a wrestler has become complacent, but Rosa is clearly working to improve herself. Hopefully she improves enough to get her first real victory after six years on the main roster.
Winners: Summer Rae and Layla
Notes and Highlights:
- So, who were the bad guys in this one?
- You know what makes a lot of sense? Showing a clip from Total Divas that has Natalya griping about working with Rosa right before they have to team together.
- Rosa had a little wardrobe malfunction with her backside and the censors didn't catch it in time. It looks like WWE doesn't use a long-enough time-delay on their live shows, and "Rosa's butt" should be trending on Twitter in no time.
- It can't be a coincidence that "Cherry Bomb" by The Runaways was a big part of The Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack and is now the main song used in all Total Divas adverts.
- Since WWE chose not to upload this match to YouTube, I have included another Divas video from Raw featuring Rosa.
All I can say is, that Rosa is at least better than Eva Marie….And thanks to TD we will probably get to see her more often ugh:/ #MainEvent2014-9-3 00:28:04
Rosa Mendes' trunks were definitely not made for wrestling if they came down THAT easily. #WWE #MainEvent2014-9-3 00:31:08
Goldust and Stardust vs. Los Matadores
This match really brought back great memories of the tag team scene in the '90s. You have two teams who actually look like they belong together wrestling a fast-paced style with a lot of double-team maneuvers. It was like watching Well Dunn take on The Smoking Gunns.
Despite losing, this was easily the best performance Los Matadores have put on in months. Their moves were all clean and they had a good chemistry with Goldust and Stardust.
This bout proves that WWE has all the tools to have a great tag team division, but they choose to only feature one or two teams at a time.
Goldust and Stardust picked up the win after Stardust hit Dark Matter to score the pin. It was a predictable outcome, but fun nonetheless.
Winners: Goldust and Stardust
Notes and Highlights:
- The ring announcer couldn't keep her eyes off Stardust. If you pay attention to the real lives of wrestlers, you know why.
- El Torito was absent this week after being attacked by Stardust last week. A WeeLC match doesn't take him out, but being tossed out of the ring one time is enough to put him on the shelf.
- It was pretty obvious that the announcers had no idea which one was Fernando and which one was Diego. Although, nobody really does.
The Fan's Podcast @TheFansPodcast
Great Muta spit green mist. I want Stardust to spit pixie dust. #WWENetwork #MainEvent2014-9-3 00:49:05
Brooklyn Brawler @brawlerreal
The #MAINEVENT on #MAINEVENT #WWENETWORK http://t.co/OZyPUPggIt2014-9-3 00:35:28
What did you think of this week's Main Event?
Thanks for reading, and follow me on Twitter @BR_Doctor.