Only a day of action remains in this summer's transfer window, and it seems Los Merengues are doing everything in their power to acquire a first-class option up front, temporary or otherwise.
We break down those last-gasp signings being eyed by the champions of Europe, as they hope to amass a stockpile that will see them through another season of silverware.
Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini is eager to reject any late interest in striker Alvaro Negredo, with rumours building that Real will look to launch a £20 million move for his services.
The Daily Mail's Jonny Singer quoted the Chilean as saying that Spanish clubs have been looking to bring the forward back to La Liga this summer but that the hour is too late to sell now:
Maybe one month ago some Spanish clubs had an interest in him but that was one month ago. At this moment Alvaro is injured but part of our squad. Last year he did very well and then had an injury with his shoulder and after that he didn't play so well, but he's always an important player for us.
We don't want to sell him. We want him to stay with us.
According to Spanish football expert Graham Hunter, City would only cash in on Negredo if he were to choose an exit himself, with a move for a certain other highly sought-after target touted:
@18Donnelly he's proactively being punted at City though they say no need for him unless Negredo chooses to leave— Graham Hunter (@BumperGraham) August 31, 2014
Karim Benzema signing a new five-year contract at the Bernabeu gives Real some security up front, but it seems Ancelotti would like another option in his rotation.
That being said, City are in no desperate need to sell their attacker, making it hard to imagine the English giants giving up their asset as things stand.
Radamel Falcao has stirred controversy through social media after proclaiming that he would become a Real Madrid player on Twitter, then swiftly taking the post down.
According to French radio station RMC (h/t talkSPORT), Falcao's agent Jorge Mendes is in the process of finding a new destination for his Colombian client and is currently negotiating with some of the continent's biggest clubs with the aim of sanctioning a deal.
According to beIN Sports' Tancredi Palmeri, a loan agreement has been reached with Real, but a late €40 million offer from Manchester City could spoil the transfer:
Meeting between Falcao and his entourage is over. Still no decision taken between 1.Loan signed by Monaco with Madrid 2.The 40m€ bid by City— Tancredi Palmeri (@tancredipalmeri) August 31, 2014
Los Blancos may favour a loan deal so they can assess the player's knee and how his return from the anterior cruciate ligament injury he suffered in late 2013 is coming along.
That being said, should they wish to beat Pellegrini to the punch, they may be forced into making a major offer of their own.
One cut-price alternative to both those star strikers would be Manchester United misfit Javier Hernandez, with a loan move being eyed up by Ancelotti's outfit.
Simon Jones of the Daily Mail reports that should moves for Falcao and Negredo fall through, the Mexican international sits as backup, although Football Italia confirmed Juventus are also in the running:
Hernandez has struggled to fit into the Red Devils' first-team plans in recent seasons, and Louis van Gaal doesn't look any more likely to give him a bump in playing time.
However, it's debatable as to whether the Bernabeu would be so much more beneficial in terms of opportunity, where Benzema would assuredly hold down a starting spot ahead of Hernandez.