Barcelona are reportedly still looking at Marco Reus as a potential addition to the squad before the 2014 summer transfer window closes, but the Blaugrana should shift their focus elsewhere.
As reported by Metro, Borussia Dortmund manager Jurgen Klopp told Bild he strongly believes the gifted forward will stay with the Schwarzgelben: "I have a very good feeling about the Marco Reus situation," he said. "He will continue to play for Dortmund for a long time."
Speculation surrounding the German international's future has persisted throughout summer, but both the club and the player have given no indication they are interested in a transfer.
Fears Reus could join hated rivals Bayern Munich have driven the belief Dortmund could be tempted into cashing in with a foreign club, and Barcelona are the club most often linked with a move.
According to Onda Cero (h/t to Barcastuff), club officials and Luis Enrique are discussing the Catalans' transfer strategy for the final week of the 2014 window, knowing they won't be able to sign any players in 2015 due to FIFA's transfer ban imposed on the club.
Luis Enrique is having lunch with Barcelona officials. It is expected they will discuss the final week of the transfer window. [onda cero]— barcastuff (@barcastuff) August 25, 2014
Barcelona have already spent a lot of money in the summer of 2014, and facing a one-year transfer ban, such a strategy is understandable. Football Funnys shared this image of the club's spending so far:
FIFA's transfer ban on Barcelona is going well pic.twitter.com/psV6gWfw0T— Football Funnys (@FootballFunnys) August 20, 2014
Bringing in a player the caliber of Reus would be expensive, particularly with every top team around the European leagues showing an interest in his services. Yet another big-budget signing might put the club in a bad light, something they can't use as they continue to fight the ban, as shared by the club's Twitter feed:
FC Barcelona to appeal to CAS following FIFA resolution http://t.co/Y4Q2WDBp4w— FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona) August 20, 2014
More importantly, it's hard to see how Reus would fit into Barcelona's starting XI. The team that opened the 2014-15 season with a win against Elche already looked formidable in the attacking areas, and that was without Neymar and Luis Suarez, who will be locks as starters once they can play.
Pedro and Rafinha also look like they will feature heavily in the attacking department, and youngster Munir El Haddadi left quite the impression on his senior debut.
Gerard Deulofeu will add yet another body to the mix when he returns from loan, leaving very little room for potential new signings. Sure, Reus would be an upgrade over anyone not named Neymar, Suarez or Lionel Messi but would the Blaugrana sacrifice all of that youth for one more marquee signing?
Looking at the offensive logjam, Reus himself would have little reason to join the Catalans. Other clubs need his services more, and they'll pay accordingly. If his heart were set on a move to Barcelona, those kind of things wouldn't matter. But everything points to his heart belonging to Dortmund, not a foreign club.
Reus could be the big star at a club like Manchester United, and he would get paid like one as well. The Blaugrana would have to do more than just break the bank to bring him in, and as we saw in the Juan Cuadrado saga, that's not something the club tends to do, per Rafael Hernandez:
Zubizarreta knows Manchester United has offered Cuadrado substantially more wages than Barcelona, and that could obstruct the transfer.— Rafael Hernández (@RafaelH117) August 5, 2014
The final week of the 2014 transfer window will be vital for the Catalan giants, because unlike other top clubs, they likely won't be able to add to the squad next year. As a result, Enrique needs to focus all of his attention on targets that have a high chance of joining the club.
Reus is not one of them, and the sooner the Blaugrana realise that, the better.