Manchester City Transfer News and Rumours Tracker: Week of August 25
With one week left of the current transfer window, will Manchester City be making any further additions to their squad? They've already added Fernando, Bacary Sagna, Willy Caballero, Bruno Zuculini (since loaned to Valencia) and Eliaquim Mangala. Their squad looks excellent but there's still time for deals to be done.
Clubs have until 11 p.m. BST on September 1 to make any final additions to their squad. City also have a number of players who look set to leave. Micah Richards, Scott Sinclair and Matija Nastasic are all expected to be the subject of interest from elsewhere before the window slams shut.
Here's this week's Manchester City transfer tracker.
Last updated: Monday 25 August
City to Hijack Di Maria's United Move?
In one of the more far-fetched stories from this summer, Duncan Castles suggests in The Times (subscription required) that City could still enter the race to sign Angel Di Maria and hijack his proposed move to Manchester United.
Castles believes United have been told £63.9 million will land the Argentina star, but he adds that City were offered the player earlier in the summer and have since asked him to delay his decision on a move to Old Trafford while they figure out a deal that won't contravene UEFA Financial Fair Play rules.
Alvaro Negredo could be sold in a bid to raise £50 million from player sales in order to make a move for Di Maria.
City Put off Barkley Chase by Huge Asking Price
According to Simon Mullock in the Daily Mirror, City were prepared to pay £30 million plus add-ons for Everton midfielder Ross Barkley. However, they were told by the Goodison Park club that they valued the player at an incredible £50 million.
Barkley, who has made less than 30 Premier League starts, has since signed a new bumper contract at Everton, but it seems City's interest was strong.