The NBA offseason is beginning to wind down, which means the steady flood of rumors from earlier in the summer is now only a small dribble.
Almost all of the major dominoes have fallen, leaving teams to tie up whatever loose ends are remaining before training camp begins.
It seems like this summer has dragged on and on as LeBron James, Chris Bosh, Carmelo Anthony and the marquee free agents all decided where they'd sign. Everybody is now waiting on the Kevin Love-Andrew Wiggins deal.
Just think—only a couple more months, and the fun really begins. The 2014-15 regular season will be here before you know it.
Until then, whet your NBA appetite with some of the more recent rumblings throughout the league.
Everybody pretty much knows that Greg Monroe isn't thrilled with staying in Detroit. By signing the qualifying offer with the Pistons, Monroe is essentially trading what could be a massive payday now for having control over his own free agency in the future. It's a small risk, albeit a worthwhile one.
What some might not have known is how much Monroe and his agent, David Falk, worked behind the scenes to get out of Detroit, per Michael Lee of The Washington Post:
Monroe and his agent, David Falk, never sought an offer sheet from another team but pursued sign-and-trade proposals with at least five other teams, including Portland and Oklahoma City, according to person familiar with the discussions. Monroe denied receiving a reported five-year, $60 million offer—or anything close—from Pistons and would’ve been unlikely to accept either way.
What seems a bit odd is that Monroe would try to get traded to the Trail Blazers or Thunder, both of whom already have marquee power forwards in LaMarcus Aldridge and Serge Ibaka. He'd have had a better chance of winning, but playing time would be an obvious concern.
Monroe has made the best of a bad situation, though, by signing the qualifying offer. It kinda stinks that he'll have a lame-duck season in Detroit, but it will all be worth it next summer when he's an unrestricted free agent.
One of the last remaining deals the Cleveland Cavaliers haven't quite locked up is signing Ray Allen. Yahoo Sports' Marc J. Spears reported that that may not be the case much longer:
The Cavs are also optimistic about their chances of signing free agent guard Ray Allen prior to the start of training camp, a source said.— Marc J. Spears (@SpearsNBAYahoo) August 17, 2014
ESPN's Chris Broussard reported a couple of weeks ago that the 39-year-old will in fact play next year rather than retire. Publicly, Allen is giving off a different vibe.
"It's August and I don't want to rush to judgment," he said. "I want to get to September and see how I really feel."
You could understand why Allen might want to retire. He's done everything he possibly could in the league, and he's got more than enough money to live comfortably for the rest of his life.
But he could play a role on the Cavs if he decided to play one more year. Cleveland looks to be the best team in the Eastern Conference, and the opportunity to win another title is there.
He'd be a nice addition for the Cavaliers. He can space the floor on the court and provide invaluable NBA Finals experience in the locker room and on the sidelines. If the Cavs can wrap this deal up, they'll have had about as good a summer as they could've hoped for.
If you haven't seen the Miami Heat's depth chart on ESPN.com lately, Dwyane Wade is listed as the only shooting guard. Given the state of Wade's knees, that might not be the best plan for the Heat in the regular season. Can Chris Andersen play the 2?
Miami might remedy this problem by signing Leandro Barbosa.
Basketball Insiders' Alex Kennedy reported that "mutual interest" exists between the two parties regarding a deal:
There's mutual interest between Leandro Barbosa and the Miami Heat, according to league sources. Don't be surprised if he signs with them.— Alex Kennedy (@AlexKennedyNBA) August 19, 2014
Ira Winderman of the South Florida Sun Sentinel also reported that the Heat are potentially looking at Barbosa, but Barbosa isn't the only player they're considering:
A source familiar with the situation said Barbosa is on the Heat's radar, but is one of several veterans the Heat are considering, with no signing imminent.
Barbosa, 31, had an uneven 31-game stint last season with the Phoenix Suns. A combo guard, Barbosa could potentially address the Heat's lack of veteran experience behind Wade, with journeyman free agent Reggie Williams recently signed to add depth at the position. Heat President Pat Riley has also mentioned Chalmers as an option for minutes at shooting guard.
The Heat kinda have their backs against the wall financially. They can't offer anything more than the veteran minimum, so they have to work within those parameters.
With that in mind, Barbosa isn't a bad player to target. He wasn't great with the Phoenix Suns last year, averaging 7.5 points and 1.6 assists in 18.4 minutes a game, but he's an experienced combo guard who would add depth to the Heat's rotation.