You might think Scott Coker has had enough of Jason "Mayhem" Miller. But you would be mistaken.
The new president of Bellator MMA and former honcho at Strikeforce said Monday that he would be open to a return from the semi-retired Miller provided the troubled but popular middleweight could meet certain prerequisites.
"It's worth a conversation because everybody deserves a second chance," Coker said Monday on The MMA Hour with host Ariel Helwani. "I just hope he's OK. And if he's OK, then we can take a more serious step. But the first step would be, you know, is he OK? That's really what it comes down to."
Though the statement is far from an assurance, it does open the proverbial door for a return, which is a new development for Mayhem. Miller (28-9-1) has not competed professionally since 2012, when he lost by decision to C.B. Dollaway at UFC 146.
That was only the beginning of Miller's troubles. A few months after his UFC departure, Mayhem was arrested for breaking into a church. The charges were later dropped.
In 2013, Miller was arrested multiple times for various incidents relating to felony domestic abuse and violating court orders.
He has also displayed erratic behavior in interviews, on social media and in other public appearances. Last year, he called UFC fighter Uriah Hall, who is black, a racial epithet, thus inciting a brawl in a hotel lobby.
Coker is also no stranger to direct troubles with Miller. In 2010, when Coker was presiding over Strikeforce, Miller famously touched off "the Nashville brawl," an in-cage melee that began when Miller entered the cage unannounced to demand a rematch with Jake Shields.
Shields and members of Shields' team, including brothers Nick and Nate Diaz, attacked Miller for his actions. Miller later received a three-month suspension.
To his credit, Miller has been more subdued lately in public forums and has expressed a desire to return to active competition.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!