As Barcelona's signing of the summer Luis Suarez awaits his competitive debut for the club, much activity carries on behind the scenes at the Camp Nou.
The future of Dani Alves has been in doubt after the player's indifferent form and disastrous World Cup with Brazil.
The Catalan giants have been looking at possible replacements for the player; here's the latest gossip behind those rumours and transfer news surrounding Luis Enrique's team:
Barcelona sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta has confirmed Alves is to remain a Barcelona player for at least one more season.
ESPN FC's Dermot Corrigan quoted the senior figure in Barca's management structure, unequivocally stating that Alves was not for sale:
Robin Bairner of Goal.com recently reported Zubizarreta's thoughts on Barca's transfer policy that suggest players would need to leave before new acquisitions happened.
Zubizarreta confirmed at that time that no offers had been received for Alves despite speculation of his exit with his contract running down, per Bairner:
At the moment we have received no offers for Dani Alves. He is a player in our squad and he is training very well. I think we're going to enjoy what we have at the moment. We're comfortable now. At this moment we have a high quality defensive line.
Until the deadline there are options to find more players. Maybe we have to work on a player leaving. We hope that on September 1 we have the best squad for the coming campaign. If we have an option to improve the squad, we'll take that chance, but at the moment we're really happy.
Bairner writes that it was thought that Juan Cuadrado would be purchased to fill the gap on the right-hand side of Barca's team if Alves was to leave, but Zubizarreta's non-committal stance did not give any clues as to what might happen with either player.
Alves has been a mainstay in the Barcelona defence for years, but with Enrique bringing a fresh approach to the club in his first season in charge, it is questionable whether he wants the Brazilian in his new team.
The former Seville full-back joined his current team in 2008 and has since won four La Liga titles and two Champions League trophies.
Alves might be useful to keep around while transition occurs under Enrique, but the club should be thinking about replacements now. The player could not hold down a place in a very average Brazil side in the summer, and his presence at the Camp Nou may have a more detrimental effect than a positive one.
Despite speculation over Alves, it seems Barca will be facilitating the arrival of another Brazilian in his place and position.
Stefan Coerts of Goal.com says a £4.8 million deal has been agreed upon for the South American but that his current club wish to retain Douglas on loan for another year.
Sao Paulo vice-president Ataide Gil Guerreiro recently told Radio Jovem Pan about the probable deal, per Coerts:
The initial transfer fee will be €6 million, but if may rise to €8 million if Douglas achieves certain goals which have yet to be defined. Negotiations are nearly done. However, certain things may arise that could hold up the deal during contract discussions. We still have some way to go before both sides are speaking the exact same language on a number of details.
I think it will be a done deal within three or four days. We have asked for Douglas to stay at Sao Paulo on loan for another season, but we are still in talks over this. It is a remote possibility as things stand.
Certainly with Alves set to stay until the end of his deal, Douglas' arrival could be set back one season without the club suffering a shortage of cover.
Douglas is a strange buy for the Catalans. He is not a top-rated name back in his homeland, but he is much cheaper than Juan Cuadrado, or an equivalent purchase.
There is still time for him to develop further, and he already has a good amount of experience under his belt in the Brazilian league.
If he does turn out to be a strong squad player for Barcelona, then the quoted price will most certainly turn out to be a bargain.
Cameroon international Alex Song's Barcelona career appears to be over as the club looks to ship him out of their squad.
The Metro reports that the player might be on his way back to the Premier League, on loan with his old club Arsenal, or Tottenham.
Song signed from Arsene Wenger's team in 2012 for £15 million but has failed to establish himself in the first-team. The 26-year-old is perfectly built for Premier League football, and he impressed during his time in North London.
Joe Strange of the Mail Online says Song is surplus to requirements after the purchase of Ivan Rakitic and that Barca hope to eventually recoup £8 million on the player.
Song would be a good fit for Arsenal and Tottenham, as things stand. Both clubs could do with a high-class midfielder who has the ability to destroy, and Song fits this profile. He is also the type of player who would serve Manchester United's current needs as they look to find Ander Herrera a long-term partner.
The biggest issue in Song's case is his lack of playing time over the past two seasons. It may well have affected his immediate form, and he could need months to settle down somewhere new and find his place in the squad.