Welcome to Bleacher Report's recap of this week's Main Event. Here is where we take a look at what happened on the show, examining the winners, reactions to matches and any possible ramifications coming out of the program.
This week's show may have set a new record for the most words censored on a single WWE show. Between the John Cena/Brock Lesnar and Brie Bella/Stephanie McMahon video packages, there were many things said that did not meet PG standards.
In a bit of a change from the normal pacing of the show, this week only featured two matches in favor of having several SummerSlam video packages fill up the remaining time.
The upside to this is that both bouts had a significant amount of time, leading to some very entertaining wrestling. In fact, this was probably the best episode of Main Event we have seen in months thanks to some stellar performances.
Let's take a look at what went down on the show this week.
Seth Rollins vs. Kofi Kingston
Seth Rollins took it to Kofi Kingston as soon as the bell rang. He looked angry, which led to a more aggressive style from Mr. Money in the Bank.
Kofi built up some momentum and hit a series of his more recognizable signature moves, including an awesome flip over the top rope to the floor that took Rollins down.
They exchanged control several times throughout the match. Both men came close to winning multiple times, but it was Rollins who picked up the win with a sunset flip into a running corner powerbomb followed by the Curb Stomp.
This was a very fun way to get the show started. Kofi and Rollins are two of the most versatile wrestlers on the roster. They put on a very good match with a lot of memorable spots.
Winner: Seth Rollins
Notes and Highlights:
- The fact that Kofi came out alone is the final nail in the coffin for Xavier Woods' new stable. They had potential, but WWE apparently thinks they weren't worth the time to push.
- It was really cool to hear the crowd chanting Kofi's name. He is so talented but hasn't been booked to reflect it.
- It's surprising that Kofi doesn't get injured more often with how many big risks he takes.
- The SOS Kofi hit on Rollins was the best executed SOS I have ever seen. Rollins is the perfect kind of wrestler for those types of moves because he is just as agile as Kofi.
The Usos vs. RybAxel vs. Sheamus and RVD
The Usos came to the ring at the top of the show and talked about their desire to be the best tag team champions in WWE history, which is why they issued an open challenge for their titles.
RybAxel came out and the two teams exchanged some insults as Curtis Axel and Ryback accepted the challenge. RVD came out and said he wanted to challenge for the titles with Sheamus. Kane popped in and told everyone that it would be a three-way bout for the titles later in the show.
All six men really brought their A-game to this match. There were many times when it seemed as if we may see the first Tag title change ever on Main Event, but The Usos retained in the end.
RVD and Sheamus shook the hands of the champs when it was all over to show sportsmanship, while RybAxel headed to the back to lick their wounds.
This is the kind of performance that used to be very common on Main Event. The one-hour show used to produce some of the best bouts of the week. This show seemed to return to that trend.
Winners: The Usos
Notes and Highlights:
- 9.99 chants are starting to catch on. WWE management must be very happy about that.
- I love how Ryback accused RVD of stealing his singlets when it is exactly the opposite.
- RVD and Renee Young looked so awkward when Sheamus walked away after their backstage interview was over. It was like nobody knew what to do next.
- The rolling senton from Sheamus into Rolling Thunder from RVD was a cool combo.
- Ryback catching Sheamus' Brogue Kick and turning it into a powerbomb was a very impressive feat of strength.
- The way the match ended with RVD hitting a Five-Star Frog Splash right before Jimmy Uso hit RVD with a Superfly Splash was awesome.
What did you think of this week's show?
Thanks for reading, and follow me on Twitter: @BR_Doctor.