David Wilson Shut Down by Giants After Latest Neck Injury

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories
David Wilson Shut Down by Giants After Latest Neck Injury
AP Images

Updates from Tuesday, August 5

Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News confirms the Giants waived David Wilson:

Andrew Brandt of ESPN provides more details on Wilson's compensation:

Original Text

After undergoing offseason neck surgery, David Wilson made his return to training camp in 2014. Unfortunately, another neck injury will now sideline the New York Giants running back for the entire regular season.

The Giants confirmed the news on Monday via a release on the team website:

“Dr. Frank Cammisa Jr., our spine specialist at  HSS   examined David this morning and following that exam, we both sat down and shared our perspective with David,” said Dr. Warren. “David has diffuse cervical stenosis. He had a disc removed and a fusion in January.  In light of last week’s episode of symptoms, sensory and motor, Frank and I both told David he should not play football any more. We let David know that by playing, he would be putting himself at risk for more episodes like last week or perhaps something more serious. ”

(...)

“I don’t want anybody to feel sorry for me, or pity me,” said Wilson. “I lived my dream. A lot of people only get to dream their dream. I lived that dream. Now I have a chance to dream another dream and live that, too.”

Wilson also posted on his Instagram account following the announcement:

At age 8 I told my #Dad I wanted to play football in THE NFL at this point in my life I have done that. Even Blessed to be drafted in the 1st round. Broke and set RECORDS, scored Touchdowns, and all that follows. It's a great feeling to live a out dream. Unfortunately that has been paused but I am blessed that I am able to walk away from this game healthy and still able to be me with no restrictions pain or struggle and So all I ask is please don't be sorry or pity ME that's just one chapter life goes on and I'm glad I can live it. Once a Giant always a #Giant #pocketrocket

Mike Garafolo of Fox Sports commented on Wilson's future following the news:

Josina Anderson of ESPN originally reported the news on Twitter:

Art Stapleton of The Record offers his insight on the Giants' potential options:

Wilson came into the 2013 season with plenty of promise and ability, but the neck injury proved costly. He and the Giants carried optimism into 2014, but it has quickly been dashed by yet another injury.

The former Virginia Tech running back has just 115 carries, 504 yards and five rushing touchdowns in his two-year career. His return to the field was seen as a bright spot for the Giants, but now his health is the biggest factor.

While Wilson could have been a vital part of the Giants' running corps, Garafolo believes the decision was for the best:

Garafolo also provides his thoughts on the future for Wilson:

Following the most recent injury for Wilson, Giants head coach Tom Coughlin said, "We were all praying that it wouldn't be an issue," per Dan Hanzus of NFL.com. While Wilson likely won't be in the fold, Coughlin still has options in the backfield.

USA TODAY Sports

The current tandem of Rashad Jennings and Andre Williams looked strong in the first preseason game against the Buffalo Bills, with Williams even scoring a touchdown. With the likes of Peyton Hillis and Michael Cox pushing them, the depth chart still appears solid in New York.

As for Wilson, his health will undoubtedly be the paramount concern moving forward. It remains to be seen how this will impact his playing career over the long term, but at this point, making sure he is fully healthy will take precedence over anything else.

 

Follow @RCorySmith on Twitter.

Load More Stories

Follow B/R on Facebook

Out of Bounds

NFL

Subscribe Now

We will never share your email address

Thanks for signing up.