Anfield remains a hive of activity in this transfer window, and despite having already been busy in their recruitment drive, Liverpool's job isn't yet done.
Brendan Rodgers' side continue to be linked with a long line of reinforcements of all shapes and sizes, with the latest gossip surrounding assets in defence and attack.
We discuss the most recent developments related to those deals the Reds could be close to tying up, with Serie A and La Liga targets in the club's scopes.
Balotelli has all the qualities [I like]. He’s 6’3”, he’s quick, his touch is terrific, he can score goals and he’s still so young.
I saw that in this time at Inter as a young player and obviously going to Manchester City when we had a real close eye on him there. He’s a big talent.
As mentioned in the report, the Rossoneri are believed to have reduced their valuation of the attacker to just £14 million in order to offload his talents, which—if accurate—represents a cut-price bargain following the £75 million exit of Luis Suarez.
That's not to suggest the Italian is in any way a like-for-like replacement, but Liverpool's hunt is helped by the fact that Football Italia states Arsenal won't be competing for the player this summer:
Balotelli's authority issues are well known, but Suarez was another who endured his share of controversy at Anfield, and Rodgers may be willing to take on another project of similar design.
Liverpool are close to bringing in the new first-team option at left-back they've craved for so long, with Sevilla's Alberto Moreno said to be back in the Reds' sights.
The Merseysiders were linked with the Spain under-21 star earlier this summer but pulled out of the deal. However, Adam Crafton of the Daily Mail says a £16 million move is now back on the table.
The Manchester Evening News' David Lynch insists Moreno and other Anfield arrivals are a significant upgrade for the squad:
@JackR_88 Nah it did. Can, Markovic, Lovren and Moreno are not players an EL side sign. Nowhere even near. Need to consistently make it now.— David Lynch (@DavidLynchMEN) August 1, 2014
However, Moreno has been warned not to move to Liverpool by Reds attacker Iago Aspas, who is currently on loan in Seville, per ABC Sevilla (h/t ESPN):
I have not yet spoken with Alberto about Liverpool. Yes, it is true that his team-mates have had some banter with him on the topic. But if it's a question about quality of life, I would say that Sevilla is better than being there, that's for sure. And I have only been at Sevilla three or four days but now I belong to Sevilla, I would prefer him to stay here.
Despite winning the Europa League last season, Moreno may be tempted by the opportunity that would be presented to him at Liverpool, with Jose Enrique seemingly lower down in Rodgers' plans.
Per the report, Manquillo will join on a two-year loan deal with an option to buy, with the fee depending on player appearances and other bonuses while on Merseyside.
With Glen Johnson experiencing a slight decline in recent years, Lynch argues that Manquillo and Jon Flanagan will soon compete for the starting right-back role:
Manquillo is highly rated and seen as a future senior Spanish international, fitting in with Rodgers' policy of planning with the present in mind but with one eye cast firmly toward the future.