Updates from Tuesday, Aug. 5
Pete Abraham of The Boston Globe reported on Shane Victorino's next step to heal his injured back:
Scott Lauber of The Boston Herald reported on a potential timetable for Victorino's recovery:
Updates from Sunday, Aug. 3
Julian Benbow of The Boston Globe reported on Shane Victorino's injured back:
Season-ending surgery is a possibility for Red Sox outfielder Shane Victorino after he underwent an MRI on his lower back Saturday.
The 33-year-old right fielder will travel to Los Angeles early this week to meet with spine surgeon Dr. Robert Watkinsfor a second opinion.
“To go get another opinion from Dr. Watkins and see what he has is important to me, I think, to get that next view of things,” Victorino said before Saturday’s 6-4 loss to the Yankees at Fenway Park. “We kind of have an idea of what’s going to happen, but I hope that it’s not going to be as serious. I’m hoping.”
Shane Victorino was a key factor in the Boston Red Sox's run to a World Series in 2013. This year, however, he's been unable to stay on the field, playing just 30 games and landing back on the disabled list with back and hamstring problems.
Red Sox manager John Farrell told reporters, via CSNNE.com's Jimmy Toscano, it's not out of the question that Victorino could be shut down for the remainder of this season if that's what doctors say:
I think until we get the information back, it's probably too early to tell.
But the one thing that we do have right now is we do have some time on our side. So whatever is recommended for Vic to get back to full strength, and if we can use the remaining months in this calendar year to our advantage, we'll see if that makes sense.
Following up on Farrell's statement, Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald tweeted that Victorino would be seeking out a second opinion in the near future:
In many ways, Victorino perfectly sums up the 2014 Red Sox. There was so much optimism following last year's incredible turnaround, resulting in a championship, but things weren't right from the first game.
The 33-year-old didn't debut until April 24, played roughly one month before going on the disabled list for the second time, came back on July 19 and played in nine games before going back on the DL.
Set to make $13 million next season, it will be interesting to see what the Red Sox do with Victorino this winter. They were selling any impending free agents at the trade deadline, adding a lot of outfield depth in the process and making someone expendable.
If you want to talk sports, hit me up on Twitter.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!