Adrien Broner Will Fight Emmanuel Taylor on September 6

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories
Adrien Broner Will Fight Emmanuel Taylor on September 6
Ethan Miller/Getty Images

Adrien Broner is coming home.

As expected, Showtime Sports confirmed Thursday evening that Broner's next bout will be against Emmanuel Taylor on Sept. 6 in his hometown of Cincinnati:

"Adrien Broner is a top-level talent who always elevates his game on the biggest stages, and there is never a bigger stage than in front of your hometown fans," Oscar De La Hoya told ESPN's Dan Rafael. "But with speed, power and a golden opportunity, Emmanuel Taylor is a tough test. This is a life-changing fight for him, which makes him particularly dangerous."

Broner, 25, defeated Carlos Molina in May to win the WBA International Super Lightweight championship. Perhaps the most prolific young American boxer, Broner is still working to rebuild his brand after a unanimous decision loss to Marcos Maidana last year. Maidana has since lost a majority decision and scheduled a rematch against Floyd Mayweather.

Eric Gay/Associated Press

Had Broner been able to defeat Maidana last year, perhaps it would have been him in the ring with Mayweather instead. With Mayweather and Maidana scheduled for a Sept. 13 bout, it will be interesting to see whether a win for Broner might put him back in Money May's sights. Given Mayweather's general avoidance of rematches in recent years—this being a rare exception—Maidana and Broner may have their schedules align for a rematch of their own.

That, of course, assumes Broner is able to get past Taylor.

The 23-year-old Taylor might be at a disadvantage due to scheduling. He is just two weeks removed from defeating Karim Mayfield on Friday Night Fights, giving him less than two months to recover and train. Taylor (18-2, 12 KO) struggled at points against the veteran Mayfield, and this will be his first main event against someone of Broner's caliber.

"This is the biggest fight of my career, and I won't let it get away from me," Taylor said, per Rafael. "All of those hours in the gym were for a moment like this, and I can't wait to show the world what I can do in the ring."

The combination of a short preparation certainly puts Taylor at a disadvantage. This is also the type of relatively safe fight that Broner needs at the moment. Another loss would give him two in his last three fights, calling into question the opinions of those who think he's the sport's next big thing. Although some were critical of Broner after his loss to Maidana, the latter's first bout with Mayweather quelled the complaints.

Rounding out the card will be light welterweights Lucas Matthysse and Roberto Ortiz and welterweight Andre Berto facing a fighter to be named later. 

Joe Scarnici/Getty Images

Matthysse (35-3, 33 KOs) is coming off an 11th-round knockout win over John Molina, Jr. in April. Last September, he failed to defeat Danny Garcia in a bout for the WBCWBA (Super) and The Ring Light Welterweight titles. Ortiz (31-0-1, 24 KOs) defeated Ramiro Alcaraz via TKO in the fifth round in April. The 28-year-old Mexican has been on a slow rise up the ranks, largely fighting in undercards.

Berto's opponent may not be determined, but this card is shaping up as one of the best of the year. By scheduling two of its biggest events in a row, Showtime seems determined to own the month of September.

 

Follow Tyler Conway (@tylerconway22) on Twitter.

Load More Stories

Follow B/R on Facebook

Out of Bounds

Boxing

Subscribe Now

We will never share your email address

Thanks for signing up.