Arsenal Transfer News: Douglas Costa and Nani Bids Expected

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories
Arsenal Transfer News: Douglas Costa and Nani Bids Expected
Efrem Lukatsky/Associated Press

Arsenal will continue their summer transfer spree with the attempted purchases of Douglas Costa and Nani, according to reports on Monday.

Dutch outlet Voetbal Primeur (via Metro) reveals that the Gunners have made a move for Brazilian wizard Douglas, with the player refusing to return to his club, Shakhtar Donetsk, due to the political unrest in Ukraine. He described the current situation living there as "deadly."

Arsenal will test Donetsk with an offer of £15.8 million in an attempt to bring the player to London.

Douglas has also been previously linked with Arsene Wenger's side, who had a bid for the player rejected in 2011, as per Metro.

Bleacher Report's Jonathan Johnson recently confirmed that Douglas has gone "missing" from his club, linking him to a possible move to France:

Paulo Duarte/Associated Press

Wenger will also try to obtain the signature of Manchester United's out-of-favour winger, Nani. Portuguese newspaper A Bola (via Phil Dawkes of The Mirror) reports that the Gunners will bid £8.7 million for the international in an attempt to convince Louis van Gaal to sell.

But Dawkes also says that United may hold out for a bigger price, despite wanting to offload the 27-year-old.

Douglas has been one of the most highly rated youngsters in world football in recent years but left Gremio for life in the Ukraine in 2010, ignoring the interest of some of the bigger clubs of European football.

The player has since won every domestic trophy possible with Shakhtar and may now believe the time is right to step up a level. Indeed, his Champions League performances have warranted this train of thought, as tweeted by WhoScored.com:

But Arsenal have an abundance of diminutive and creative individuals attacking from midfield, and it is difficult to see where Douglas would fit in.

Similar issues arise with Nani. The Portuguese attacker only played 11 times in the Premier League last season, as per WhoScored.com, and he failed to force his way into David Moyes' plans as injury and form hindered his progress.

But Nani has hinted that his future could lie away from Old Trafford, in light of Arsenal's interest.

Stephen Dunn/Getty Images

He said the following recently, as per Chisanga Malata of the Daily Star: "I'm a United player, but there has been some interest on my behalf. I will evaluate it and decide what is the most advantageous for me. A return to Portugal? Right now I don't know."

Wenger will clearly try to bolster his squad further after the signing of marquee talent Alexis Sanchez, but whether Douglas and Nani are the right players to add to the mix at present is questionable. On their days, both can produce magic and match-winning performances, but both are likely to be fringe players when you assess Wenger's current team.

Is Nani good enough for Arsenal?

Submit Vote vote to see results

Nani has had a horrendous time at Manchester United in recent years. After the exit of Cristiano Ronaldo, he showed he had the ability to step up in terms of consistency, but that form suddenly evaporated and has not returned for a couple of years.

Wenger needs to strengthen by bringing in some steel to his line-up, and this is one factor that neither Douglas or Nani will add.

Load More Stories

Follow Arsenal from B/R on Facebook

Follow Arsenal from B/R on Facebook and get the latest updates straight to your newsfeed!

Out of Bounds

Transfer News

Subscribe Now

We will never share your email address

Thanks for signing up.