Luis Enrique will look to build on the recent signing of Valencia defender Jeremy Mathieu with more defensive recruitment this summer.
The club has amassed a thriving mound of talent in attack and midfield, but La Blaugrana fans may be pleased to hear that centre-back is an area of interest now taking priority at Camp Nou.
Six months after a winter switch was said to be in the pipeline, Barca are reviving their interest in Liverpool vice-captain Daniel Agger.
Spanish newspaper SPORT (h/t 101GreatGoals) reported on Sunday that Enrique's side are preparing an offer of €15 million for the Danish defender.
Agger struggled for prominence under Brendan Rodgers last season, with Mamadou Sakho, Martin Skrtel and Kolo Toure each grasping their share of the first-team opportunities at Anfield.
Speaking to Danish newspaper BT (h/t Evening Standard's Richard Parry), Agger is now more open to the idea of leaving the club:
How things turned out last season is not acceptable for me. It is no secret that I had problems last season and I am considering things. I am here now and it is up to me to show the coach that I should play. Many things can happen in football and I do not want to exclude anything.
What's more, James Pearce of the Liverpool Echo has suggested that the imminent arrival of Southampton's Dejan Lovren may push Agger out of the club's exit door:
Barca would undoubtedly be one of the first clubs in line to sign the stalwart defender should that be the case, having been avid admirers of the player in recent years.
Enrique has already been rebuffed once in his advances for PSG's Marquinhos this summer, but new developments may see the Spaniards raise their intrigue in his services.
After their initial attempt to secure his signature, the Brazilian starlet allegedly moved to force his departure from Parc des Princes, per Spanish newspaper Mundo Deportivo (h/t ESPN FC's Jonathan Johnson):
Spanish radio station Cadena Ser (h/t talkSPORT) has reported that Barca are looking to sanction a £32 million deal for the defender, although Tancredi Palmeri of beIN Sports says the Ligue 1 champions will not let Marquinhos leave:
The centre-back spoke with French newspaper Le Parisian (h/t Inside Spanish Football) back in May, voicing his joy at being associated with a transfer to Camp Nou:
If Barca is interested in me, that’s something that makes me very happy. It’s flattering because they’ve won every competition in the world. However, I can’t say anything other than that. I have a contract until June 2018. We’ll see what happens. I don’t know…but either way, the manager will speak with the club about my future, because this season is very important for me.
Marquinhos missed out on a place in Luiz Felipe Scolari's World Cup squad this summer, and the arrival of £50 million man David Luiz decreases his chances of a starting place in Paris.
Last week, Arsene Wenger opened the door for his centre-back's potential Emirates Stadium departure, per ESPN: "I cannot guarantee he will stay, but should he go, I would bring another centre-back in for sure."
As far as Barcelona are concerned, it's at least positive to hear Wenger resigned to the possibility of losing his captain, but the Spaniards will still need to meet the Gunners' estimation of the versatile figure.
That being said, United are also in need of some top-flight experience at the back and will be no easy obstacle to overcome as Louis van Gaal looks to add to his squad.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!