AC Milan Transfer News and Rumours Tracker: Week of July 14
Filippo Inzaghi has already held his first training sessions as coach of AC Milan, and he is serious.
The 40-year-old has reportedly ordered his players to keep a strict diet, and he wants to bring the spirit of the real Rossoneri back to life.
“I will always forgive a technical error but will never forgive the wrong attitude,” he told reporters (h/t Football Italia). “A Milan player cannot get it wrong off the field.”
Of course, Milan first have to get the right players if they want to challenge, but their budget does not appear any bigger.
The club completed the transfer of centre-back Adil Rami from Valencia for €4.25 million, but even Rami had to pitch in. Milan were not going to spend that much on the player, even though the agreed buyout clause was €7 million.
“We improved our offer to Valencia,” Milan CEO Adriano Galliani told La Gazzetta dello Sport (h/t Sky Sports). “The difference was covered by Rami to close the deal. He deserves a lot of credit for that.”
It makes no sense.
Milan were happy to spend €11 million on Alessandro Matri last year, who they've since had trouble offloading and is now at Genoa on loan, but they weren't willing to meet Valencia's price.
In other news, Valter Birsa is out on loan, Urby Emanuelson has made a permanent switch to Roma, and Michael Essien appears likely to leave.
There are still some moves to be made. Here are the latest rumblings.
Robinho Wants MLS
Galliani recently told reporters that Robinho wants to move to the MLS—to Orlando City, in particular—to reunite with Kaka. However, he said the clubs are still "far apart" in negotiations, according to Mark Doyle of Goal.com.
Milan could have sold him to boyhood club Santos last year, but they waited and waited for the right offer, and it never came. Instead, in defeat, they signed Robinho to a contract extension.
The Brazilian is making roughly €3 million a year—too much for an injury-prone forward who just doesn't score enough.
It certainly sounds like Robinho wants out:
Galliani: "Robinho only has one city on his mind, and we want to satisfy his wish." @oficialrobinho— AC Milan News (@Milanello) July 10, 2014
Milan have shown interest in Domenico Criscito in the past, back when he was playing for Genoa, the player himself told Sky Sport Italia last year (h/t Football Italia).
However, with the asking price for current Genoa defender and recent target Sime Vrsaljko too high, it is understood the club have now turned their attention back to Criscito.
According to La Gazzetta dello Sport (h/t Football Italia), while Milan aren't willing spend any more money this summer, they plan to use Ignazio Abate as a counterweight to tempt Zenit into talks.
To accommodate the 27-year-old left-back, Mattia De Sciglio would move to the right flank.
And Then There's Alessio Cerci
Could Milan spend money after all?
They were chasing Juan Iturbe for several weeks, according to Ben Gladwell of ESPN FC, and they appeared ready to stump up close to €20 million for the young forward—even if that wasn't enough.
Meanwhile, Torino's Alessio Cerci is a dream that just won't die.
"It's not just Milan who are interested, but other teams too," said Torino president Urbano Cairo, according to Nadia Carminati of Sky Sports. "I would like to keep him. I still need to find out what the player's intentions are."
Cerci would cost around €20 million, and Galliani has already reportedly met with Cairo to discuss the 26-year-old, according to Sport Mediaset (via Football Italia).
Cerci would work perfectly on the right wing in Inzaghi's preferred 4-3-3 formation, as there is no one on the current roster who would excel there.