Welcome to Bleacher Report's recap of this week's Main Event. Here is where we take a look at what happened on the show, examining the winners, reactions to matches and any possible ramifications coming out of the program.
The big match this week was for the United States title. Sheamus took on Alberto Del Rio in a Last Man Standing match that saw their usual level of stiffness taken to the next level.
We also had a five-on-one handicap match featuring Nikki Bella against most of the other members of the Total Divas cast, including the babyfaces.
Normally, Main Event has at least three matches. This week in Ottawa, however, WWE opted to have an appearance by Bret Hart on Chris Jericho's highlight reel to make the Canadian fans happy.
Let's look at what went down on Main Event this week.
Sheamus vs. Alberto Del Rio (US Title Match)
The champion and the challenger had a back-and-forth promo before Del Rio actually made his entrance. I am not sure why Del Rio gave his part of the promo from the back instead of in the ring with Sheamus, but it worked anyway.
You can always count on these two men to deliver some hard-hitting action, but with the Last Man Standing stipulation, they were a bit more aggressive than usual.
Sheamus' back was absolutely covered in bruises and welts by the time the bell rang, but he walked away with the victory and his title still intact.
Del Rio barely answered a 10-count after being put through a table, but then he got laid out with a Brogue Kick that kept him down for the full count.
Notes and Highlights:
- Before the match, Sheamus and Del Rio talked about possibly unifying the intercontinental and US titles since both men will be in the IC title Battle Royal at Battleground.
- I wouldn't say this was the best match they've had, but it was easily the best they've had in awhile.
- The Kendo stick got a workout in this one. I think Del Rio hit Sheamus so hard that a piece of the stick went flying into the crowd.
Nikki Bella vs. Naomi, Summer Rae, Eva Marie, Natalya and Rosa Mendes
Nikki is still being punished by Stephanie McMahon, but this time she was put up against almost the entire cast of Total Divas.
The surprise wasn't that Nikki lost, because we all knew she would, but rather that it was Eva Marie who got the pin with a DDT. Most of the women on the team against Nikki didn't even tag into the match.
Cameron came out and took a cheap shot at Nikki, but Naomi was right there to chase her to the back.
Winner: Everyone but Nikki
Note and Highlights:
- I am so tempted to make a joke about that much silicone in one place.
- Summer Rae is hilarious. Her body language and the way she acts in the ring are so entertaining.
- I like Rosa's personality. I am curious to see how WWE portrays her on Total Divas.
Bret Hart on the Highlight Reel
Hart and Y2J bantered a bit about some of Hart's most famous feuds. Hart mentioned Shawn Michaels, and then HBK's music hits to a big pop.
OF course, HBK was nowhere near the show, but Damien Sandow was ready to add another impression to his list, complete with blonde wig, camo shirt and cowboy boots. All he was missing was having his pants hiked up too high.
Hart knocked Sandow down with one punch and then put him in The Sharpshooter to pop the crowd and end the show on a high note.
This wasn't a great segment by any means, but it was a lot of fun—especially since WWE was in Canada.
Note and Highlights:
- I cracked up at Bret's joke about Jericho wrestling his sister, Georgia.
- I love that Sandow got a "You screwed Bret" chant. Leave it to the Canadians to play into the joke and make things more fun.
- I am not really sure why this segment happened other than to give Hart a reason to be on the show. I expected Bray Wyatt to come out and attack Hart so Jericho could save him.
What did you think of this week's Main Event?
Thanks for reading, and follow me on Twitter: @BR_Doctor.