Dana White Says Aldo vs. Mendes II Can 'Still Happen,' Just Not at UFC 176

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories
Dana White Says Aldo vs. Mendes II Can 'Still Happen,' Just Not at UFC 176
Felipe Dana/Associated Press

According to UFC President Dana White, Chad Mendes can still receive his rematch with featherweight champion Jose Aldo, he just won't get it on Aug. 2 at UFC 176 as originally scheduled. 

MMA Junkie's Steven Marrocco reported that White remains willing to reschedule the rematch, and the UFC president is not yet looking for a replacement for the injured champion. 

“Aldo is going to be out 45 days – the Mendes/Aldo fight can still happen," White said. 

After Frankie Edgar's lopsided TKO victory over BJ Penn at The Ultimate Fighter 19 Finale Sunday evening, many fans and media members speculated that the former lightweight champion might step up to fight at UFC 176, saving the pay-per-view card in the process. 

While White did not dismiss the idea of Edgar stepping up to fight on the Aug. 2 card, MMA Fighting's Dave Doyle tweeted that Edgar vs. Mendes is out of the question, meaning that if Edgar does fill in at UFC 176, it will be against an unannounced opponent. 

“I’ve got to call Frankie Monday or Tuesday or Wednesday and see where he’s at on this thing,” White said. 

For Aldo, a shoulder and cervical spine injury will keep him sidelined until the middle of September, and all signs are pointing to the Mendes fight taking place upon his return. 

"Forty-five days after (UFC 176) he’ll (Aldo will) be OK to fight," White said. 

Aldo previously defeated Mendes via first-round knockout at UFC 142, but the Team Alpha Male standout has dramatically improved his all-around skill set since that time, posting a five-fight winning streak which contains four knockouts and just one decision. 

Stay tuned to Bleacher Report UFC 176 as updates emerge. 

Load More Stories

Follow B/R on Facebook

Out of Bounds

MMA

Subscribe Now

We will never share your email address

Thanks for signing up.