There are few managers that the demanding Stamford Bridge faithful would have forgiven for guiding Chelsea to a trophyless season—Jose Mourinho just happens to be one of them.
Though the Portuguese boss helped the Blues to the Champions League semi-finals and kept them in Premier League contention throughout, they came away empty-handed.
With striker Diego Costa’s signature secured, per BBC Sport, it’s clear that Mourinho is prepared to use the transfer window to build his squad ahead of the upcoming campaign as he seeks silverware redemption.
Chelsea’s unconvincing strikers were partly to blame for the Blues’ lack of success last term, but with Costa now in their ranks they’ll hope that their goal-shy days are behind them.
The report says that Chelsea have matched Real’s bid of £19.9 million for the German midfielder and have promised him a whopping £125,000 per week if he makes the switch to Stamford Bridge.
With Frank Lampard and David Luiz leaving the club, Chelsea suddenly look a little light in defensive midfield, and Kroos is the best man to fill that void—therefore allowing new signing Cesc Fabregas to take up an attacking role.
A passing sensation, the 24-year-old has won fans around the world with his vision, awareness and movement, and as OptaJohan revealed, he’s been on the ball more than anyone else in the World Cup for Germany:
473 - Toni Kroos has had 473 touches so far this World Cup, more than any other player. Instrumental.— OptaJohan (@OptaJohan) July 4, 2014
It looked for all the world as if Kroos would be making the switch to the Spanish capital, but Chelsea have clearly thrown a spanner in the works as the man himself confirmed that his future is yet to be decided—per Sky Sports:
I've said all along I will not make a decision on my future during the World Cup. I can’t comment on every article that comes out in the press. When the World Cup is over, I’ll make my decision and something will be announced. That won’t happen in the tournament. I won’t sign anything while I’m with the squad.
With the Germans progressing to the semi-finals of the tournament, Real Madrid and Chelsea have a lengthy wait to see who Kroos will choose, but the fact that the Blues have moved for the midfielder shows their ambition.
Elsewhere, the Filipe Luis transfer saga goes on as Mourinho looks to bring in a replacement for Ashley Cole at left-back.
Having made it clear that he wants to leave the club, Luis now needs to prize €9 million out of Chelsea to spark a move to west London, and that’s something he’ll be desperate to do after breaking down relations with Atletico—as football journalist Ben Fairthorne remarked:
Filipe Luis will be a Chelsea player. He has made it impossible to ever play for Atletico again.— Ben Fairthorne (@BFairthorne) July 3, 2014
However, Chelsea appear reluctant to part with the money needed to bring Luis to Stamford Bridge, while Atletico are being equally stubborn on the negotiation front, meaning that the Blues may not get their man.
At 28 years of age, Luis wouldn’t exactly be a long-term solution to Chelsea’s left-back problems and they may be better off going with the likes of Marcos Rojo, who has also been linked, per Portuguese newspaper Abola (h/t Metro).
Preparing for the future is something that Mourinho has always been good at and paying out €24 million for a player whose best years are behind him isn’t something the Portuguese manager will likely be sucked into.
Though Luis could be a no-go for Chelsea, signing Kroos would be a huge step in the right direction for them.
He’s the kind of player that dictates matches, keeps the team’s shape and adds stability, which is exactly what the Blues need if they’re to win silverware in 2014/15.
The wait now begins to see which avenue Kroos will take, but the mere fact that Chelsea are being linked to his signature suggests that the summer spending is far from over at Stamford Bridge.