Chelsea are finally set to complete the purchase of Atletico Madrid striker Diego Costa for £32 million.
The deal has been on the cards for quite some time with Chelsea having met the Spain international's buy-out clause, but Atleti have supposedly been holding out on confirming the move in the hope another club may come in with a better offer, per Sami Mokbel in the Daily Mail.
However, Madrid boss Diego Simeone is finally prepared to confirm the deal so that he can go about finding a replacement, Mokbel reports.
Costa was a key part of Simeone's La Liga-winning side last season, scoring 27 goals in 35 appearances per WhoScored.com.
He did not fare very well as Spain were knocked out of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil at the group stages, but he was not fully fit having been recovering from injury.
Blues boss Jose Mourinho expressed his eagerness to snap up the 25-year-old last month, per Marca, via Emma Webb of Sky Sports, and it seems the deal is finally to be pushed through:
"Costa is a player who I want to have in my team," Mourinho said. "I've asked my club for him and I have total confidence that we're going to achieve it and he will end up signing for Chelsea.
Another striker of interest to Chelsea is Fenerbahce's Emmanuel Emenike, who has reportedly been offered to the Stamford Bridge outfit for £15 million, per Charles Reynolds in The Independent:
Emenike is said to have caught the Stamford Bridge outfit's attention with his performances for Nigeria in the World Cup, and could now find himself on his way to West London.
The 27-year-old scored 11 goals in 27 appearances for Fenerbahce last season, and could reportedly be the first man Jose Mourinho brings in as he attempts to overhaul his strikeforce.
The 27-year-old did indeed perform well for Nigeria as they made it to the last 16 of the World Cup, comparing favourably with a pair of the world's best players in his intent to run with the ball at his feet, per Opta:
26 - Only Lionel Messi (30) and Alexis Sanches (28) attempted more dribbles than Emmanuel Emenike (26) in the #WC2014. Daring.— OptaCan (@OptaCan) June 27, 2014
He could be potentially a strong signing for Chelsea as they look to bolster their attacking options. The Blues are now without Samuel Eto'o, per the club's Twitter feed, with the futures of Fernando Torres, Demba Ba and Romelu Lukaku still uncertain:
Along with Eto'o, long-term Blues midfielder Frank Lampard has also been released by the club, and reports suggest Hamburg's 20-year-old Hakan Calhanoglu is seen as the perfect replacement.
However, Chelsea will face competition for the Turkish youngster's signature, with Liverpool and Arsenal set to make £10 million bids. Bayer Leverkusen have already had an initial offer turned down according to the club's sporting director Rudi Voeller, via Anthony Chapman in the Express:
Will Chelsea win the Premier League next season?
"We are interested in Calhanoglu," he said. "We have already submitted a written offer to Hamburg. It's been refused for now, but will hopefully not be the last word."
Chelsea would do well to snap up Calhanoglu as he is a genuinely talented prospect in the middle of the park and—with Lampard's departure—they need a long-term replacement in the centre of midfield.
Like Lampard, he is a proven goalscorer from midfield, bagging 11 in the Bundesliga last season, per WhoScored.com, while he is also capable of the spectacular:
There is likely to be a lot of coming and going at Stamford Bridge this summer as Mourinho looks to change and improve his squad after his first season back in charge.
The Costa deal is inevitable and he will add a great deal to a side that lacked quality strikers last season. However, he will not fix all of their problems and several additions need to be made elsewhere for Chelsea to win the Premier League again.